Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How I make doors.

How I make doors.

i posted this over on Woodweb. Somebody was asking how long it takes to build a door, I had a pretty good idea, but not an exact number so I shot a video this morning and tossed it on YouTube.

Thanks for sharing that.

Fun look for those of us not in the biz. Thanks!

I'm assuming that's Mark Bolton who's on here. I'm curious what his, JR, Justin, Joe and other professional view points are. I feel it's fairly efficient for a small shop, but there's always room for improvement.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Martin that was pretty efficient in my opinion, probably even quicker if you didn't narrate ar all. Thanks for the inside look. That cutoff saw would scare the crap out of me if it didn't have the guard.

Great video Martin. I was following the thread on the woodweb, and I hope Mark B does chime in. I didn't quite follow the finishing he explained that the mass producers use. It sounded kind of awful. JR's comments would be interesting. I am not sure that is a small shop, but I know what you are saying.

I have been making them on the CNC because I do not have enough room for multiple shapers. It is much slower. I have reduced the passes quite a bit since this video I made for a friend that was giving me the gears. Its off point, but I thought I would share. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6DfH-wFe0

I accidentally hit the delete while on the tele.

I can attest that Martin is pretty anal about doors. A few years ago he visited my hobby shop to pick up a shaper. I had a pile of maple doors made. Because they were to be painted and I had made them over thickness to run through the WB, I was a little careless with my glue up. While the face joints were all tight and closed, some of the back side joints needed some filler. Not a lot, but you could see it on the unfinished joint. Martin looked through the pile and immediately turned the doors over and spotted some filler. He gave me a look like I used to get from my grade school English teacher. I remember that whenever I get in a hurry and think I can cheat on something that won't be seen. A little kick in the ass is a good thing even when you get old. Dave

Nice to see the Oakley being put to good use. Place is way too clean. Lol

Blog Entries
    Beautiful shop, Martin!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Nice to see the Oakley being put to good use. Place is way too clean. Lol
    It's a little finicky on tracking. Not sure why. I also had that dust hood fab'd a little too short, which I guess is good because you see it right away if it starts wandering up the pulley.

I've worked in dirty shops, I've worked in clean shops. I much prefer clean and organized. Good dust collection goes a long ways to achieving that. Too bad it costs a bloody fortune to run a 20hp collector all day, or I'd just let it run the whole time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I've worked in dirty shops, I've worked in clean shops. I much prefer clean and organized.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Great video Martin. I was following the thread on the woodweb, and I hope Mark B does chime in. I didn't quite follow the finishing he explained that the mass producers use. It sounded kind of awful. JR's comments would be interesting. I am not sure that is a small shop, but I know what you are saying.

I have been making them on the CNC because I do not have enough room for multiple shapers. It is much slower. I have reduced the passes quite a bit since this video I made for a friend that was giving me the gears. Its off point, but I thought I would share. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6DfH-wFe0

I accidentally hit the delete while on the tele.
    Your router was made not too far from me. I was considering a Shopsabre for a while.

Thanks for sharing that Martin!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Martin, it's an okay machine, but I bought one way to light. My mistake.