Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clamps

Add one more agreement with Patrick. The Dubugue aluminum clamps are worth the difference in price vs. HF. I've no experience with the HF "F" clamps but in life, if you are lucky, you get what you pay for. Someone's tag line is "life is to short to use used sandpaper", I'll change that to life is too short to use tool shaped objects.

ken

P.S. With good technique and methods the number of clamps needed isn't that great. As an example; I can build a table with no clamps. The base will not need any clamps because I usually draw bore the base together. For the top some scrap wood and wedges will work. I will admit I usually use clamps because I own some but even then usually no more than four. Fewer clamps means better clamps become affordable.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 02-10-2018 at 9:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing to consider is pipe clamps. This allows one to change the "backbone" when different sizes are needed.

A quick consult with Dr. Google indicates Lowes carries a model made by Irwin using a method of attachment not requiring one end of the pipe to be threaded. This would be handy if you need to make a lot of 2' clamps from an 8' length of pipe and do not have a pipe threading die.

jtk
    I have had those clamps and returned them very quickly. It seems like a fantastic idea, but the execution was not done very well. The head end just doesn't truly stay put unless you hold it in place with one hand while trying to adjust the other end.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    I have had those clamps and returned them very quickly. It seems like a fantastic idea, but the execution was not done very well. The head end just doesn't truly stay put unless you hold it in place with one hand while trying to adjust the other end.
    My comment on the Irwin clamps was made before having used or seen them. They popped up in a search for pipe clamps using Google. Stopped in at a Lowes yesterday to take a look. My skepticism is now confirmed by your comments.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Add one more agreement with Patrick. The Dubugue aluminum clamps are worth the difference in price vs. HF. I've no experience with the HF "F" clamps but in life, if you are lucky, you get what you pay for. Someone's tag line is "life is to short to use used sandpaper", I'll change that to life is too short to use tool shaped objects..
    I probably made too much of the "US made" part. I've worked for multiple employers that produce quality stuff in China. Apple is a well-known example as well.

The catch is that if you want quality you have to pay for it no matter where it's made. If you look at companies that do produce quality good in China, they maintain very close control of their supply chains and manufacturing from end to end. They build up their own suppliers and factories, and embed trusted and knowledgeable employees (people who work for them, not the supplier) at every important step. Apple does this, my employers did this.

By contrast HF acts as more of an importer. As I understand it they procure what they want to sell from the wares of the vast ocean of existing rock-bottom-cost suppliers, and then slap a "Pittsburgh" or "Central Machinery" label on it. That's how you end up with "single use tools" (if you're lucky).

I got a bunch of what were called "Columbia" F clamps on clearance at Woodcraft a dozen years ago, which looked almost exactly like the cheap Harbor Freight ones that I had. I tend to use them the most. Also have a bunch of 1/2 Pony pipe clamps, a dozen bar clamps, Jorgensen clamps, and a mess of C clamps.

The F clamps were the the cheapest, but I use them them most. There are certainly better made clamps, but these are good enough, and I'd rather have enough good enough clamps than not enough better clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    P.S. With good technique and methods the number of clamps needed isn't that great. As an example; I can build a table with no clamps. The base will not need any clamps because I usually draw bore the base together. For the top some scrap wood and wedges will work. I will admit I usually use clamps because I own some but even then usually no more than four. Fewer clamps means better clamps become affordable.
    I'd add that with proper technique, the clamping strength/pressure you need isn't that great either. If things are square and fit well, you shouldn't need the strength of i-beam or 3/4 pipe to pull things together. I noted that "The Best Things" comment on the Dubuque clamps speaks to this:

"If you need any more clamping force than these clamps can provide, which is about 1000 pounds, then you need to go back and fit your work better, or you will be setting up internal stresses in your work that will cause problems down the road."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I'd add that with proper technique, the clamping strength/pressure you need isn't that great either. If things are square and fit well, you shouldn't need the strength of i-beam or 3/4 pipe to pull things together. I noted that "The Best Things" comment on the Dubuque clamps speaks to this:

"If you need any more clamping force than these clamps can provide, which is about 1000 pounds, then you need to go back and fit your work better, or you will be setting up internal stresses in your work that will cause problems down the road."
    Here! Here! I've always felt that way (but there are people who strongly disagree with that viewpoint.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Here! Here! I've always felt that way (but there are people who strongly disagree with that viewpoint.)
    While I agree with the spirit of Lee's remark, I think that there are valid applications for heavier clamps.

It's actually straightforward: The glue manufacturers recommend clamping pressures (in PSI) based on balancing joint closure with the potential for squeeze-out and resulting starvation. They do so under the assumption of perfectly matching parts. For example, for PVA glues the recommended pressures are on the order of 100-200 psi.

If you find yourself having to use more pressure than that then (and as Lee says) you're probably compensating for a badly fit joint, and the right thing to do is to fix that rather than use bigger clamps.

The complication comes when we try to go from pressure to clamping force. If you're gluing up a 4" thick benchtop, then in order to achieve 200 psi you would need a pair (top and bottom) of 1000 lbf clamps for every 2.5" of bench length. In that specific instance a beefier clamp might be more appropriate and convenient to use, provided that your work + cauls are thick enough to uniformly distribute that much load. On the other hand you don't need a perfect glue joint with 2 kpsi of strength for a glue-up with that much surface area, so coming in low with the clamping pressure wouldn't be the end of the world and the Dubuques would be perfectly fine anyway. You could probably rub that sort of joint together and be fine.

Blog Entries
    Well Brandon, here you have a wonderful example of all the differing opinions based on what sort of clamping one does. Good info on actual recommended clamping pressure and properly fitting joinery as well. When asking what clamps to buy, our old friend "it depends" reigns supreme. The value of a specific clamp will be directly proportional to what you want to clamp and how but, we've got to start somewhere.

For me, with the exception of Bessey Mighty-Minis, the f-style clamps get used the least. Due to the scale of my pieces (dressers, curio cabinets, hutches, office furniture) and the fact that my methods are to glue-up sub-assemblies (I'm a one man operation) my 'most used' clamp is the Bessey Uniklamp in various lengths. These become fairly useless for anything requiring glue manufacturer recommended force once you get past about 18" in length but, I have a half a dozen or more in 6", 8" (I cut these down myself), 12" and 18". Watch for them on Amazon or at specialty shops like Rockler and you can catch some deals. I see 24" ones get blown out often enough (due to them being too light weight at that length I imagine) and just cut them down.

As the sub-assemblies become assemblies, I switch to Bessey K-Bodys and this is where a lot of discussion starts for parallel clamp users. I found that I kept running out of 24" clamps and so just started picking up a 24" k-body anytime I saw them for a dollar an inch or better. I did this till I stopped running out of them and now probably have too many . I have K-bodys, Groz knock-offs, Jets, Baileys, etc. in various lengths but, prefer the K-bodys. Other folks prefer others.

For long stuff I have a few parallel clamps of 50-odd inch lengths but, like a lot of folks, rely primarily on pipe clamps for long clamping jobs. Even on large pieces I rarely need more than a half a dozen clamps that reach in excess of 60".

Beyond this I have the usual collection of corner, strap, face frame, deep reach, aluminum, Jorgie f-style, Kant-twist, c-clamp and other odds and ends. Remember that every clamp you buy will have to be stored. I find that this keeps me from buying any more at some point . . . well mostly anyway

P.s. If you are an I-beam clamp fan Bessey has gone to market with these following the demise of Jorgensen.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-11-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    FWIW my favorite long clamps are the Dubuque aluminum channel ones.
    These are what I've had my eye on. I have a bunch of aluminum bar clamps from Rockler. They are the most frustrating clamps I own. I only use them as the clamp of last resort as they bind, flex and are all around frustrating to use. They just sit in the corner getting in the way and I'm going to recycle them and purchase the ones from Dubuque. Now if I could only figure out what lengths I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I needed clamps to build my bench and went to HF.
    Got a bunch of the aluminum bar clamps...creating a wood insert is a requirement...they twist like an empty soda can. I also super glued plywood pads on them. I think for a big, heavy glue up you want something more substantial at least to supplement these.
    I also grabbed some of their f clamps. Some are better than others, not sure why. Two of my 24 inch ones will twist and bend as they are tightened. Others don't.
    This mirrored my results with HF clamps as well....

My advice is:
    Buy one or 2 and use them. If they work as well as a Bessey or Jorgensen, awesome.. Buy some more.... If you are not happy with them - you don't have a big stack of bent, twisty, and out of square clamps..

Blog Entries
    Is the rail on the bessey and Jorgensen the same on there I-beams?
    s
    Is it a fact that the Dubugue aluminum clamps are or work better than the others like Jorgensen,bessey and other makers of aluminum sash clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Is the rail on the bessey and Jorgensen the same on there I-beams?
    s
    Is it a fact that the Dubugue aluminum clamps are or work better than the others like Jorgensen,bessey and other makers of aluminum sash clamps?
    I have a couple Jorgensen aluminum clamps, and the Dubuques feel as though they have thicker channel walls, but not a huge difference. I'll measure tonight when I get home to confirm. No idea about Bessey. Aluminum is more expensive than steel, and HF is all about saving money, so you can make a pretty accurate guess as to how beefy those clamps aren't :-).

Jorgensen is no more. They went out of business a couple years ago IIRC.

Blog Entries
    It's not really whether there thicker, but how they perform. Those cheap aluminum clamp from HF and Ebay don't perform well under pressure. I bought a few in mid 2000 and there still sitting there drawing dust...

Jorgensen will be around a long time. I just put 20 gear clamps up for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    It's not really whether there thicker, but how they perform.
    Absolutely, but in this specific instance the performance has a lot to do with the wall thickness (and profile, of course).