Thread: Feathered Cherry Crotch

Feathered Cherry Crotch

From the smaller side of the split in a decent size cherry crotch. Once turned, 9 1/4" to 9 3/4" diameter X 3" high X 3/16" thick. Dortor's walnut oil and Beall buffed. I didn't cut the crotch so the other half is a little ticker. If it would ever stop snowing or be more than 10 degrees outside I'd really like to dig out the other piece from the wood pile.

cc6.jpgcc7.jpgcc8.jpgcc9.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Nice piece, David. Love the wood.

Beautiful wood! Hope the pith doesn't crack on you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well done. Cherry always looks so good. Smells great turning it also.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks y'all. Original intention was to do a NE bowl but the bark side slope of the piece was going to leave one side real high and didn't think it would look right. I prefer doing round bowls but have been doing a few of these once turned types lately. Nice change of pace.

Nice one David!! I love turning cherry makes the shop smell so good, unlike that Box Elder i've been turning lately.
    I've not finish turned anything in awhile, you have inspired me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I've not finish turned anything in awhile, you have inspired me!!!

Thanks Daryl, hope I don't inspire you to finish off a dud like this one. Once turned sycamore that I did the ol lacquer & shoe polish & tung oil trick on. I've done a couple this way and they came out great but this one really ticked me off. I sanded this one to 600 grit with not one hint of any torn grain. Baby butt smooth 100%. As you'll see, looks like it has torn grain all over the place even though it's still entirely 100% baby butt smooth. Go figure..............
    sycamore1.jpgsycamore2.jpgsycamore3.jpg

Wow! That's a puzzler. I've heard that the shoe polish technique will show off even the unseen blemishes and evidently it does. That's why i'm not going to try lol.
    I am going to finish turn a couple of bowls as soon as I finish up a couple of already started projects.
    I have probably 30 bowl blanks floating in my spring that I need to get roughed out. The weather man is calling for heavy rain all weekend, I hope they don't get washed away and end up in the Gulf of Mexico.

David - I believe what you are seeing is compression rings caused by your gouge bevel rubbing a little too hard. Only way I have been able to get rid of them (before applying finish) is to wet the bowl, let dry and sand (multiple times) until compression rings are gone or if you have enough wood, make one clean-up pass with a super sharp gouge.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    David - I believe what you are seeing is compression rings caused by your gouge bevel rubbing a little too hard. Only way I have been able to get rid of them (before applying finish) is to wet the bowl, let dry and sand (multiple times) until compression rings are gone or if you have enough wood, make one clean-up pass with a super sharp gouge.
    Probably correct Steve. Even though I've got a secondary bevel, I have a tendency to be heavy handed instead letting the tool do the work. Thanks for the advice.