Thread: phase converter question

phase converter question

I have a question about what phase converter to buy.
    I have a cantec AP38 power feeder,Three phase. I do not know anything about phase converters. could someone point me in the right direction on what is the best way to get down to single phase. I only need to power up this power feeder.

Thanks in advance for some advice!

Marc

VFD variable frequency drive. How many horsepower do you need? add 50% to drive size unless it is rated at single phase input. 120 0r 240 input?
    Bil lD

For only one 3-phase tool needing power from single-phase power, you're looking at a VFD - Variable Frequency Drive. Little magic box that does all you need and you can program them for all kinds of things like motor speed, wind up and wind down times, etc. I buy mine (Lenze brand) when I need them from Precision Electric because they're US-made, but there are cheaper ones out there. You'll match the size of the VFD to the horsepower of your tool. I'm sure it's been covered lots here, so I let you do some searching, but VFD will get you started in the right direction for your search.

VFD, just remember you can't change speeds using the drum switch on the feeder while the vfd is powered up. Dave

Thanks, those are some fast replys!

My motor is 1hp 220/240

I will do my research on VFD's

It wasn't mentioned, but you also cannot control the motor with the original switch anymore. The VFD has to be wired directly to the motor, with no switch in between. Most VFD's will allow a "control" switch for remote be put in, by you will be bypassing the switch for the feeder.
    Jeff

From what I can determine, typical power feeder accessory drives most often use AC induction motors in the range of 1/2 to 1.0 HP. Yours appears intended for a commercial industrial environment and requires 3 phase power. Up to about 3 HP it is often more cost effective to employ a compact VFD as opposed to a rotary or other phase converter. You'll likely want to use your lines 240V single phase to power a VFD that will synthesize the required 3 phase AC waveform. You've not revealed in what country you're located, power utility convention in your particular locale may require further consideration.

Not sure what notion you may have in mind with the statement: "what is the best way to get down to single phase?" You'll more likely be needing equipment to convert available single phase into 3 phase for your existing power feeder. If your single motor power feeder is not presently rated over 1.5 HP, a 1.5 KW VFD would be adequate. If it's a fractional Horsepower 60Hz AC induction motor, you can get away with a compact 1KW rated VFD phase converter. Check that motors power requirement and do the simple math. There are 743 Watts per HP.

My phrase "get down to single phase" is just me not knowing what I am talking about.this is all new to me.

Yes the feeder came from a commercial shop. I live in the USA 60 hertz.

Thanks for all the help. Can someone post pictures on this forum? I just joined and was looking to upload a photo?

Certainly Marc,

When you open "Quick Rely" or new topic, you should notice a header icon looking like a tiny image of a landscape tree within a box that will show "Insert Image" when pointed at. Find the image you want from your hard drive, browse to it and upload onto the SawMillCreek server. There are limits to file size, so if it doesn't take, you may have exceeded the size or resolution permissible; so may need to "dumb it down"...

If you only ever intend to operate just that singular HorsePower 3 phase motor drive, a 1.0 KW to 1,500 watt VFD would be ample, otherwise suggest you may want to total additional future 3 phase wattage requirements and go a bit more capacity than you may presently need or simply go for a rating equal to your largest single 240 VAC 3 phase item.

Here, I'll attempt to illustrate... This one's a compact 1.5KW fully programmable 240VAC single to 3 phase VFD made by SEW Eurodrive in Germany. Got this one fairly recently (barely used!) to run a used older model Delta 12" x 48" variable speed lathe (CVTransmission) that originated from a nearby former middle school's wood shop department that once employed industrial 3 phase power tools. ----- Well, so much for that inserting an image idea! Insert Image worked great several times yesterday (check out the recent SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch & landings); today this application won't presently permit the choice of any image from my local HD. Got it now, I believe... SMC software pretty slow on the uptake; sometimes I find you've got to waste time beating on it multiple iterations!..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 02-09-2018 at 1:45 PM.

Thanks for helping out

Existing variable speed control knob. If you want to you can rewire the speed control knob so it is connected by low voltage wires to the VFD. Of course the Potentiometer may be the wrong resistance and have to be switched out.
    Personally I would leave the machine as is and mount the VFD controls in a small box attached somewhere convenient which may be nowhere near the existing controls. I would think either the front of the saw or on the fence.
    Bill D