Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I like bad, new tools

I like bad, new tools

Actually I don't (and the idea of spending hours rehabbing tools like the Windsor #33 mystifies me) but it seemed that we needed threads about all 4 kinds of tools :-).
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-09-2018 at 7:22 AM.

My paper weight made from a new Stanley No. 92 Sweetheart Shoulder / Chisel Plane, with a tilted bed

3. Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Actually I don't (and the idea of spending hours rehabbing tools like the Windsor #33 mystifies me) but it seemed that we needed threads about all 4 kinds of tools :-).
    I don't get the point of this thread? Also, why on earth would anyone expect a $14.99 plane to be any more than a complete waste of everyone's time, effort, and of precious natural resources. Or is that the point?

Cheers, Dom
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-09-2018 at 7:23 AM.

Have you seen bench plane by Narex? http://www.narextools.cz/en/iron-plane-8270

I've heard it also moves blade laterally left or right when adjusting depth of cut...

https://youtu.be/bpYzJ_RO1Do?t=2m47s
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 02-09-2018 at 6:53 AM.

But Patrick, what do you find to be the best SHARPENING approach for bad new tools?

I use scary sharp for my new Stanley block plane. After having inserted the cheap, stamped steel iron carefully in my LV jig, I rub it back and forth on the concrete garage floor. (It cuts quickly and there's a lot of surface area, so it never clogs.) Then I follow with stropping on mdf slathered with LV green compound. When I need to change the bevel angle, I use the rougher concrete of my driveway. Then I repeat on the garage floor before stropping. I find this method to be superior to all others.

Fred

[Sorry guys. I just couldn't help myself.]
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-09-2018 at 7:00 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Kharitonkin View Post
    Have you seen bench plane by Narex? http://www.narextools.cz/en/iron-plane-8270

I've heard it also moves blade laterally left or right when adjusting depth of cut...

Andrey,

It's so ugly I want one .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    I don't get the point of this thread? Also, why on earth would anyone expect a $14.99 plane to be any more than a complete waste of everyone's time, effort, and of precious natural resources. Or is that the point?

Cheers, Dom
    Natural resources? Bah! It is UN-natural resources at work here, as anyone held in thrall to some demon-possessed creation of the Dark Lord of the HFT soon recognizes.

*HFT = Harbor Freight Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Why are you so critical of what other people like and want to spend their time on? Your post sounds an awful lot like someone who only wants people to write about topics he approves of. It's ok to skip reading the threads that don't interest you.....really, it is.
    Jeff

Neanderthal Haven is where hand tool snobs live...expecting them to award participation trophies for 'good try' is unrealistic. Galoots do what they do, which is to engage in critical review of every aspect of human-powered machinery, to include carping about modern tool steel, the change in local acceleration due to gravity since they were awesome young men (and thus, unable to throw an additional six ounces around the bench for more than a few minutes), and the parental status and relationships of tool designers. Busting HF's chops is just icing on the cake.

As for Patrick's post?? I thought it was hilarious, but then I'm in the 1/3 of people that get nearly every form of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Why are you so critical of what other people like and want to spend their time on? Your post sounds an awful lot like someone who only wants people to write about topics he approves of. It's ok to skip reading the threads that don't interest you.....really, it is.
    Pot, meet kettle.

I'm here to defend the Windsor #33!

I bought one a number of years back out of curiosity (it was $10 then), and I keep it because I use it.

I use it where I wouldn't use a better plane, say to shave the edge of a plywood or mdf panel, or where there might be a buried brad that could nip the edge. I take it with me when I work on site.

Didn't take long to flatten the sole, don't know if I'd even bother now. Can't remember how much work I had to do with the blade.

I use it somewhat like a block plane. I even like the simple thumb wheel blade adjustment. It's a simple plane and does what I ask of it.
    I've heard some people have turned their's into a scrub plane.

Just stop it Frederick, stop it. DO NOT POKE THE RATTLESNAKE WITH A STICK!
    David

Not really seeing the point of this thread except to get a good laugh or to start a fight. Keep it lighthearted, guys.

It's easy to pick on bad, new, cheap tools like HF Chisels... 6 for $7.00.. And only 1 in the pack works as a chisel... That's shooting fish in a barrel...

So... How about bad, new, expensive tools?

What are your most spectacular tool flops?

Like... Oh.. Say....
    The CPM M10 HSS iron I bought for my Stanley 7" block plane... That is nearly the worst $75 (or so) I have ever spent.. And I have diamond stones to hone it on... It's an awful, hateful thing..

Or how about my fancy pants premium chisels with razor sharp ultra fine side bevels (ooooohhhhhh so you don't bruise the cheeks of your dovetails - I don't make dovetail anything.....).. But the sides are so sharp that they don't register right when cleaning out a mortise.... I would like them 50x better if they had fat cheeks like a typical Stanley or a Two Cherries.... Not to mention it's made of a fancy pants alloy that's really hard to put a good edge on - even with diamond....

The ONE fantastic thing about traditional designs is that they have already worked most of this stuff out...

15. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Andrey,

It's so ugly I want one .

ken
    Gotta catch 'em all, right?