Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mortising attachments for a drill press....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it will work reasonably well if setup well with sharpened chisels.Derek and Charles I am interested in the router idea.I am self employed (carpenter) and when working for cash reducing time to complete jobs is very important.Would be interested in how you use the router. I have seen different base plate ideas to use with a plunge router and upcut bit. How does the FMT jig work ? Thanks,Mike.
    Mike,

My best suggestion is to watch the FMT videos that are available from www.leighjigs.com or on YouTube. They make two versions now, the super FMT and the FMT Pro. Both jigs work pretty much the same, but the Super FMT is made from stamped steel plate and the FMT Pro is made from high quality aluminum. Both use the same templates and work pretty much the same, but the steel version is made more for the hobbyist and sells for less money. In my opinion, you won't regret buying either one.

Here is the Google list of the YouTube FMT Pro videos. I think you will be impressed. Leigh Jigs do everything that they say they will do, and their manuals and customer support are the best. I'm just a very satisfied user. I also own their D4R Dovetail Jig.

But you can also make a mortising jig from wood to hold the board being mortised and guide the router, and add manually set stops to prevent the router from making a "too long" mortise. Mortise both boards, and then make some "floating tenon" stock with your planer to get it the right thickness to fit properly into the mortises, and then cut this stock to the width and length you need on your table saw as needed to join the two mortises. It is possible to get good floating tenons this way and end up with perfect M&T joints. It just isn't quite as versatile, or quick to set up. Videos that show how to make mortising jigs are also available on YouTube and plans are available on the internet.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-12-2018 at 8:27 PM.

Thanks Charley ,I will check some of those videos out.

I have the mortising attachment for my Jet drill press, and have used it a number of times, including making a pair of A&C plant stands with 50 mortises (most 1/4" by 1/2" deep) each. Yes, it is a wee bit fussy to get set up. Is it quicker to use a router? Often, especially if you've got a good mortising jig/base for the router, but if speed is your criteria, look at a Domino. What neither the Domino, nor the router, nor the Leigh FMT, nor a slot mortiser on a Minimax J/P can do is make square/rectangular through mortises. If you have that need, then a HCM/dp attachment or handwork are your solutions. Note that you can do most of the work with one of the roundy/spinny bit tools above and then square up by hand. Not speedy though.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.