As I set up my shop I've been looking at a variety of tools. I've been reading all the old threads and asking questions. I've never used dust collection. If I had extra money I wanted to buy another tool😁. Recently I've been more aware of a need to protect myself. Originally I was going to get a shop vac and a dust deputy. Now I think I will get a 1100 to 1200 cfm collector with the canister filter on top. Possibly put a air filter near the ceiling. After reading these threads I'm even considering a nice festool or Bosch sander with one of the nice festool or fein vacuums.
My question is about layout of the rigid/flexible ducting. I've seen metal ducting for sale in the catalogs. I've got to do it cheaper then that. Can I use 4" black abs pipe from home depot? Do you guys buy your fittings at home depot or do you buy them from stores like Rocker? Where do buy your flexible pipe? If 4" pipe from home depot is what you use how does it connect to flexible hose and fittings such as blast Gates? I knew that grounding wire was used but didn't realize how important it was until I used the shop vac to clean out my table saw and touched the saw😨. How do you run the grounding wire? On the inside of pipe? Wrapped around outside? Do I need to drive a hole into the ground so I can put copper into the earth? How far away can I putt dust collector. I'd like to put it at the far end of the 20x50 shop so it's a little quieter. Will I lose a lot of suction? Is there a simple book or article somewhere that will give me a good idea of what to do?
Have you ever seen this many questions in a single thread🙃
I
One more question, in buying stuff for your shop do you find that you start off looking at getting one tool for like $1,000 and talk yourself into A $1,500 tool and then come home with a $2,000 tool. The original idea of a 6" grizzly jointer with blades eventually turns into a 8" powermatic with a helical cutter head. Idea of 14" grizzly bandsaw turns into a 18" Laguna.
I'm so thankful for an amazing wife. The other day I told her that I wanted a 8" jointer and she said maybe you should look into getting a 12" jointer😙😙😙😙