Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dust collection

A mobile collector with a short host to connect directly to each machine currently in use is certainly a cost-effective way to approach the situation when budget doesn't permit a large, permanent installation. The bottom line is that dust collection (not just chip collection) is a seriously important part of setting up shop relative to your health. Given your medical history, you don't want to encourage other health problems from inhaling fines. You'll probably want to use a personal respirator, too...talk with your doctor about that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, I've got the exact respirator pictured above. In the past I haven't worried about sawdust much. At times I would go out and make a few cuts and not worry about the mask at all. I never even considered the dust you can't see. I'll have to get more masks. I've got two of them but I only know where one is at. Sometimes my wife or my son will be out helping. Will that respirator work against the real small dust particals?.. how long will filters last. I'll bring some large zip lock bags to the shop. Throwing the mask on top of a dirty table saw as soon as I'm done cutting probably isn't to bright. Is there a more expensive and more comfortable respirator I can buy. Maybe I should get a high end respirator if I can't afford a high end DC system

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Byers View Post
    Thanks guys, I've got the exact respirator pictured above. In the past I haven't worried about sawdust much. At times I would go out and make a few cuts and not worry about the mask at all. I never even considered the dust you can't see. I'll have to get more masks. I've got two of them but I only know where one is at. Sometimes my wife or my son will be out helping. Will that respirator work against the real small dust particals?.. how long will filters last. I'll bring some large zip lock bags to the shop. Throwing the mask on top of a dirty table saw as soon as I'm done cutting probably isn't to bright. Is there a more expensive and more comfortable respirator I can buy. Maybe I should get a high end respirator if I can't afford a high end DC system
    I understand the P100 filters are effective with even the small particles. I try to keep them clean and occasionally blow out the inside gently with compressed air. I like to put respirators and safety glasses in lidded plastic containers I get from Walmart - they stack nicely on shelves, open and close quickly. I prefer this type:
    container.jpg

Someone recently recommended this model respirator and I got one - it is more comfortable and better made than the others I have. I just ordered two more.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86
    The filters are separate.

I understand the filters are effective until they get clogged with dust and breathing becomes more difficult. This has never happened to me but I do change them out occasionally. I keep the ones I use separate from those visitors use - they can be cleaned inside with alcohol wipes.

I use these during and after making dust even though I have a an excellent 5hp cyclone dust collector. I have a history of asthma (for almost 60 years) and I don't want to take the chance of getting worse!

JKJ

Ok great, I've put that mask on my list on Amazon. I'll feel a lot better in my shop with the good respirators. I might not be able to be as efficient as I'd like with the dust collection but I'll keep some good clean respirators on hand☺☺☺

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Byers View Post
    I just wrote out a long reply and it got erased. I'll try a shorter reply. My wife's giving me 7k out of our house refinancing for tools to make a little more $. I was forced to sell shop full of tools when I got Leukemia (mostly Jet and American made Delta) I've got a few tools now. I've got to keep it cheaper. Maybe I can incorporate the good advice into making a cheaper system. Would a single stage DC unit with upgraded filter and a super dust deputy ($179) on a mobile stand with 6" hose work. I need some tools to make money. I've recently been told I should get a high end sander and extractor for my shop too. I'd hate to have my wife come into my shop in hopes of seeing me make money only to find me out chasing dust bunnies with a 6" hose attach to a cyclone😂😂😂 thanks Brian
    I think the best low-cost setup is to buy a standard 3hp single stage collector. Locate it outside the shop so that the filtered air is not recirculated inside the shop. No need for a seperator, which will just reduce your airflow. Then setup 6"+ ducting in an efficient manner to each machine, with minimal turns/elbows, flex hose etc. This should provide a good amount of airflow and does not rely on good seperation or good filtration as air is not returning into the shop. The main reason you need a cyclone/seperator with filters is so that you can run really good Hepa or 15+Merv rated filters without them immediately clogging up. But then you need to use a good quality cyclone not a chip seperator and good filters which costs money. Venting outside removes the need for both.

The other issue with fine dust, even if you wear a respirator, is that you get covered in fine dust: in your clothes, your hair, on your skin etc and you bring that back into the house where you and your family live.

The downside of venting outside / locating the system outside is the possible need for an enclosure and the loss of ability to heat and cool your shop.

Cheers, Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    The other issue with fine dust, even if you wear a respirator, is that you get covered in fine dust: in your clothes, your hair, on your skin etc and you bring that back into the house where you and your family live.
    This is true! I still step outside and use the compressed air method to get any dust (and shavings from the lathe) out of my hair, etc.

........ I'll keep some good clean respirators on hand☺☺☺

Better on face.

You know I wasn't the only one to think of this. Merely the only one to post it.

I would never direct compressed air at my head. I have seen some nasty injuries at work where people were using compressed air to clean themselves.

A separator on the dust collector (cyclone type) and a chip separator are two different things. I would still use a chip separator when jointing and planing just to keep from filling up the dust collector bag/can/whatever so fast. You also end up with clean chips/shavings that can be used for animal bedding, mulch, etc. without a bunch of dust in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I would never direct compressed air at my head. I have seen some nasty injuries at work where people were using compressed air to clean themselves.
    Yes, it would certainly be unwise to use high volume, high pressure, or direct any air towards face, eyes, ears even when wearing safety goggles or face mask. There are several "good" ways to be injured with compressed air for the unthinking.

I love the way you think, Ted.
    I'm in the process of moving into a large building, and I too think I'm going to go with localized collection, at each machine.
    The cost savings alone, on electricity, makes it worth it.

The only draw back I can think of is:
    1. Loud, if 2 or 3 people are working
    2. Takes up a lot more room.
    3. Large units tend to filter down to a smaller micron level, than individual units.

Dirk, if you go with multiple DCs for your new shop, they can still service multiple tools if you are careful about arranging things so that it's unlikely they will have to service two tools simultaneously in the work flow. But as has been pointed out in your thread...since this is a business, you need to be sure you meet regulations, particularly since you will not be working alone by your own statements. While my shop is transitioning to "business" status "as we speak", I'll not be having any employees, so I'd be less worried about this, although I have a very good Oneida system to service the shop and have for years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Brian, check out Grizzly's website. They have dust fittings, pipe and pretty much anything to do with DC. Their plastic fittings are much cheaper than anywhere else I have looked. I haven't used much metal pipe so I can't comment on the price. If I were you, I'd go with 6" pipe. I have 4" on a 12 foot run and it does ok, but my main run that goes 18 feet is 6" and has more air flow. I am only running a 2 hp unit with a separator before the unit and I vent outside so there is no need for a filter.
    Steve,

Can you point to a link for this? I can only find 4” and smaller plastic blast gates and a very few fittings.

Blog Entries
    One more question, in buying stuff for your shop do you find that you start off looking at getting one tool for like $1,000 and talk yourself into A $1,500 tool and then come home with a $2,000 tool.
    I actually approach this from the other direction. I decide what features I want and the specifications I need. I then look for the best offering that has everything I want / need. I then start backing down the food chain until I hit an offering that is missing things I consider critical. I then move back up a notch of two from this tier . . . there's my tool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Brian,
    Your right, I just bought my equipmet 2 weeks go. I start with a budget of $ 10K andI finish a little over $ 28K, Maybe they av a good salesman.

Sorry for y English I'm french from Qué. Canada

Guy