Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Deputy Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post

I have 4" spiral pipe for my whole system. Should I be expecting to change duct size out of the SDD for my main run ?

Mike,

I don't know how long your runs are or the rest of your setup but the longer the run with 4" the more of a detriment there is to your performance. Attached is a matrix showing the pipe to duct size relationship. If you can operate in the 4000-4500 FPM columns you will best optimize the ducts you have. You will notice that going from 4 to 5 inch ducts you will increase the area by almost 50%. Ina 4" duct you will probably have a velocity higher than 5000FPM (assuming the runs are fairly short). Going too large is also not good as the velocity to keep things airborne requires more CFM. So a 6" duct @4o00FPM needs a blower with 784 CFM. But you have to consider the rest of your system's resistance. So with the SDD, piping, filter, etc you probably have 6-9" of resistance. For that you will need a 3-5HP blower. So for a 1.5-2HP blower you are best to use 5" duct as far as possible. But you should start with Bill Pentz' static pressure calculator (excel spreadsheet) and let it tell you how much resistance your system has.

When connecting your elbow you will best be served by using at least a 6-7 diameter duct and remove the 5" reducer on the blower.
    Duct data chart.JPG
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Hello all, I don't mean to hijack the thread. I am looking at the same set up for my one car shop. Dose anyone have the demntions of the blower outlet/ baffle inlet. I'm hoping they will marry up if I rotate the blower 90 degrees. Thanks for the help.

Just a quick update.
    I had to try a couple ways to get things to fit...but this is it..I think 😁

Just a couple questions:
    Should I use fixed 90 elbows or adjustable ones ? I am going with the long sweep 90s.

Do I have to have a round catch drum or would a square box work ?

To seal seams on the duct work..foil tape it the paint on sealer mastic ?

I want to Thank Carl Kona...he has helped me beyond what I could have asked for. Thanks

I thought I would post another photo of my progress. It's been slow going but going pretty good.
    Fittings came from Kencraft. They are Monsters !! One good thing is they fit 5" Snap Lock duct perfect.
    Over one hurdle....three more before I fire it up.

Looking good.
    Mike

6. Looks good!

I hung a majority of my pipe this weekend , taping , screwing , securing .......what a pain ... and that's for a ~25' duct run , 3 wyes , 7 blast gates , and a bunch of mismatched fittings.

I taped all my seams , should be enough , but someone else with more experience could probably answer better.

How are you changing your barrel?
    Do you have the SDD attached directly to it ? or do you have a length of hose between the SDD and the lid?
    I'm thinking of just using wedges to lift the barrel 1-2 inches so it's snug to the lid.

More pics of your set up!
    I'll post mine tonight , so we can all get a good laugh , it's ugly as sin , but I think I optimized it as best as humanly possible with what I had available to me.
    If I had to do it again , I'd order all fittings from the same supplier , trying to save money with 'cheap' fittings from 8 different places , just lead to many headaches and I'm positive I didn't save a thing...

Patrick,
    I have my SDD hooked right on the drum with a locking ring. Here is a photo of it. I have a platform for the bottom support.

I have mine all taped but not done with my table saw hook-up yet. It works...I just had to fire it up...it moves some air for sure.

To do it over again....I'm not sure. I know I spent about 1/2 of what a Oneida would of cost....and im not sure this upgrade is enginered the best.

On one hand ....if I had the money I would buy a Oneida a just run flex hose and be mobile.

But on the other hand it's nice having the duct work and just turn it on and work.

8. Looks good Mike!
    Nice Clean setup.

Here's my Frankenstein setup.
    Due to my 5" plastic wyes , and 5" powertec blastgates (that i'm not a huge fan of , they taper way too much inwards) I had to get creative on some of the connections or else I would have really horrible internal transitions from fitting to fitting.

SDD on the left is about where it's going to be wall mounted
    The first drop connects to a 10' 5" hose , that connects to a PvC adapter that quick connects into my Tablesaw , Planer , Bandsaw.
    Planer is on a sled an can be moved wherever , the other 2 are right next to that port.

The other 'drop' (with room for expansion) drops down to a 4" wye that will connect to a short 2 feet section of 4" hose , that will connect to a 4" to 2.5" adapter that will plug directly into my disc sander , rigid belt sander , and router table that'll be up against that wall.

the long 4" offshoot will be for my RAS (if i ever get it set up for DC) , or maybe just an extension for a floor sweep

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

looks good Patrick,
    You have a lot going on there.
    Good luck with the rest of the install. Hope it works good for you.