Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Deputy Setup

Another Deputy Setup

Well I am going to install a SDD to my system.
    I have a Grizzly 2 hp running 220volt
    Wynn filter 35a I think it is
    I have a height issue in my basement shop and only have 7' ceilings so I need to keep it as short as I can.
    Here is a "rough" drawing of my two thoughts.

I assume option #1 would be the best performer. If I can get it to fit my ceiling height.

My concerns/questions I have with option #1

Can I close the top off with plywood ?
    Do I need an open end on my filter ? Right now my filter is closed on the end.
    I don't think it would be a very good idea to cut the end open.

Option #2

Do I need the plastic bag under the filter ?
    Can I downsize it to 1/2 is original size ?
    Is the 5" hard pipe going to kill the performance ?

I have been searching this upgrade so much I'm about burnt out on it. I know there have been thousands of threads about this but seems everyone is different....but trying to achieve the same performance.

Thanks for your time and suggestions ( if you have the patience to answer another "SDD" thread)

Mike

Here is my exciting setup..
    I am going to upgrade my duct to 5" snap lock duct
    There is a Plastic bag under the cloth bag

With option 1, the first time you overfill the dust bin and overflow goes into your filter you will regret the design. And, it will happen.
    Mike

4. I'm in the exact same boat as you , SDD , 7 foot ceilings in basement.
    Getting the last of my 5" metal ducting fittings next week (nightmare to find( , then i'll start putting it all together.
    I'm going to mimic DIY Tylers set up
    maxresdefault.jpg
    But I'll be running a short length of hose from the blower to the filter "coupler". (both blower and filter/bag units will be wall mounted)
    Putting a wynn filter up top , and keeping the plastic bag down below. Specifically for Mike's mention of overflowing the dust bin.

Can't answer about the smaller bag or plywood top , but I think #2 will unnecessarily hurt your CFM's with 3 90 elbows in such a short span.

I know what you mean about the burn out . Bought the HF DC , bought the SDD , and THEN I started researching about dust collection.....talk about information overload , and every site you get info from , the next site refutes it.... Good luck though! I'll post my set up whenever I end up getting it wall mounted.
    Last edited by Patrick Cosentino; 02-08-2018 at 5:12 PM.

I have a small shop and could really just move my DC to each machine...or a 10 piece of flex hose would reach all most all of my machines. So....maybe stop buying add ons (SDD,Filters,5" duct) and stop the diy set up and buy a cyclone collector.. already designed and built.

I did some measuring and have come up with another option...which might be the easiest and will keep the filter/bag assembly intact.
    Any suggestions or thoughts on this option ?

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I did some measuring and have come up with another option...which might be the easiest and will keep the filter/bag assembly intact.
    Any suggestions or thoughts on this option ?Thank You
    Looks like the standard set up in so many threads already.
    Mike

Your 2HP blower is restricted on the output down to a 5". If you look at the upgraded 2HP with canister filter they have a larger metal duct to the separator. That removes the output restriction and takes advantage of the larger filter area. Eliminate the separator and fit a 90 duct to the top of the Filter and cut a hole in the bottom of the filter for the bag. It is smaller and more efficient. Otherwise , like Mike said.
    SDD w filter.jpg
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

It didn't help Carl....just change my direction again....JK

Thanks for the suggestion. So a modified option #1

My Wynn filter has one end that is open. So I could cut and fit the 90 duct onto the closed end now,
    and use the open end for the bag hookup ?

I even was thinking I could make a rectangle 90 elbow out of 3/4" plywood and sheet metal...with some flanges on it.
    It would be stronger to support the filter better.
    Kind of like this

https://www.pentairprotect.com/en/hoffman/F66WE90SS
    Last edited by Mike Burke; 02-09-2018 at 4:51 PM.

Mike,

You can build a square box with the blower entering on side and a circle hole in the bottom for the filter. If you look up stumpy nubs he has a video on using a HD bucket instead of a bag on the bottom of the filter. You can get the Wynn filter clamps or make your own to attach the filter to the box. This uses a clean out box at the bottom:
    Filter Box.jpg

Carl

I went a bit on the overkill side for the 3HP DC system and filters because my shop is in one half of a finished basement. I used a pair of Wynn 35A filters with the dust pan options to make any clean outs easier. The SDD feeds a 35-gallon plastic trash can. I had to add an internal removable brace to the trash can because the can would deform due to the vacuum after a few minutes of use and break the seal at the lid. After adding the brace, the can retains its shape and functions perfectly.

This was an expensive design, but worth the peace of mind for keeping the rest of the house reasonably dust free from the shop. I made the box using plywood and formed the hose into a rectangle to connect the blower to the filter box. My air compressor fits nicely under the filters.

Thanks Mike Kreinhop, yours was the inspiration for my own filter box and the pic I wanted to reference for Mike (the OP) to see. Your installation is first class!

Carl

Thanks Mike, nice looking system for sure. Thanks Carl for posting again
    I have a couple thoughts and questions.

I'm planning on using a elbow from fan to filter, I think to box would be to big for me.

Mike, is the pan filter worth the extra cost ? I was thinking about going with the bucket on bottom.

Carl, I have 4" spiral pipe for my whole system. Should I be expecting to change duct size out of the SDD for my main run ?

I'm getting a handle on things..took my collector apart yesterday, cleaning my filter and doing some measuring. Parts on their way. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Mike, is the pan filter worth the extra cost ? I was thinking about going with the bucket on bottom.
    It was worth the cost for me. In addition to providing an additional 60 square feet of MERV 16 filter, the pans provide an easy access for cleaning the filter assembly as required.

Since everything I have was mailed to me, I ordered as much as I thought I would need at one time. I am happy with the results and the only thing I would change if I was starting again would be the alignment from the blower assembly to the filter box. I would make the connection as straight as possible instead of the S-bend with the rectangular flex tubing. However, this would likely require a 1.5 meter deep closet instead of the 1-meter dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    Thanks Mike Kreinhop, yours was the inspiration for my own filter box and the pic I wanted to reference for Mike (the OP) to see. Your installation is first class!
    Thank you, Carl!