Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop contractor saw: Pros and Cons.

SawStop contractor saw: Pros and Cons.

SWMBO is concerned about my safety. Which I guess is a good thing.

So, I'm looking at the SawStop Contractor saw and I would love have you guy's input. Does anyone have tis saw? What are the pros and cons?

How "important" do you consider the safety vale of the SawStop mechanism?

Your opinion on which would be better; a SawStop contractor saw or a used cabinet saw? Is the safety issue that much of an incentive?

I've been looking at older Unisaws but lots of them don't have a riving knife and they are mostly right tilt.

Is the SawStop just a gimmick? Or is it really a big deal?

I guess my main question is is a contractor saw with the SawStop system better than a cabinet saw?

Thanks for your input. I realize most answers will be subjective opinion.

Just responding to one point, when I was researching which SawStop to purchase I ended up figuring that once I had the Contractor version spec'd out how I wanted it, it wasnt that much less than their Cabinet version. So I ended up going that route and am glad I did! Just something to think about. Ill let the rest of your questions get answered by the inevitable debate that any SawStop thread brings with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Just responding to one point, when I was researching which SawStop to purchase I ended up figuring that once I had the Contractor version spec'd out how I wanted it, it wasnt that much less than their Cabinet version. So I ended up going that route and am glad I did! Just something to think about. Ill let the rest of your questions get answered by the inevitable debate that any SawStop thread brings with it.
    THnaks Ben,. I had guessed that something like that could happen. But financially, even a few hundred dollars could make the difference in this venture. I would love to have the SawStop cabinet saw but lots of guys make do with a contractor saw. If going with a contractor then I want to go with the best.

Only get one shot at this so I’m spending my time doing my homework. Which means putting my shop on hold for a little while so that I make the right moves. Its a balancing act between, saw value, time and money. Or is that a juggling act?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Go with the PCS or ICS (if you expect to do heavy lifting stuff). Skip anything less unless you don't use the tablesaw a lot or good enough results are fine to you.

The expensiver models are better in dust collection, cut quality, mobility, fence, noise, etc. It is a one time deal and you dont need to upgrade from a contractor to a cabinet model.

Get the mobile base and the overarm dust collection and the upgraded fence -- even if you have to sell some blood for them.

I have used every model of SS except the jobsite.

Regarding the safety feature, consider it to be the seat belts, air bags, ABS, etc. for your car. Would you put your loved ones in a moving car without any of those?

Your SWMBO is the hero and love her for that (even if you decide to go for just a contractor saw which I still advise against unless budget is really tight)!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-08-2018 at 12:00 PM.

You guys really like spending my money. LOL

Ted, due to past forays into woodworking where poor tools, my amount of available time and other factors have caused me to quit, my wife is cautious about this venture. Buying a saw or other tool then finding out it isn’t the best choice for me and wanting to buy a different one is not ging to fly. That’s what I meant by “one shot”.

I also realize that people got along for years without the safety features and while there were accidents not everyone had them. Though I do have a friend thta lost a thumb to a table saw.

I just want to start woodworking.

What exactly are planning on building? There's a lot that can be accomplished with other tools / methods over a traditional tablesaw at the center of the shop space.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    What exactly are planning on building? There's a lot that can be accomplished with other tools / methods over a traditional tablesaw at the center of the shop space.
    Stating out with farm style tables. BUt my real ove and interest is in craftsman/mission style furniture. My plan is to build the sjop out as I go along to be a hybrid shop as I would love to incorporate hand tools too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    How "important" do you consider the safety value of the SawStop mechanism?

Thanks for your input. I realize most answers will be subjective opinion.
    It was extremely important to me. I do not want to lose the ability I now have with my hands and fingers. Additionally, I had an accident in the shop before I got my SawStop (really something that just required stitches) and the visit to the ER was about $1,000. I realized that if I had a serious accident on the table saw, the cost would be MUCH greater and I'd likely have permanent restrictions in the use of my hands or fingers.

I view the extra cost of the SawStop as a one time insurance payment. For lifetime protection, I thought it was pretty cheap.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    It was extremely important to me. I do not want to lose the ability I now have with my hands and fingers. Additionally, I had an accident in the shop before I got my SawStop (really something that just required stitches) and the visit to the ER was about $1,000. I realized that if I had a serious accident on the table saw, the cost would be MUCH greater and I'd likely have permanent restrictions in the use of my hands or fingers.

I view the extra cost of the SawStop as a one time insurance payment. For lifetime protection, I thought it was pretty cheap.

Mike
    Good points Mike. I’m glad that you are okay.

My wife is an Occupational Therapist that has specialized in hand injuries in the past. She has seen what a saw (and countless other things) can do to mangle a hand. She isn’t keen on spending the money as we just have her income now but she knows the horrors of hand injuries so it may be good timing to go with a SawStop.

I actually know a fellow that has a sawstop the full size one and he loves it. The power is there and everything but either the jobsite or contactor size or the big tablesaw make sure you get a the dado brake cartridge to to do dados plus get extra brake cartridges both dado and standard for just in case you activate the safety mech. He did and had to order another and was down until he got it.

Unfortunately, Marshall, you've asked a question with partisan responses around SMC.

This thread, like many Sawstop threads, may get shut down if it gets hot.

For my part, I own a Sawstop PCS. Apart from the mechanism, it is a good, well-made saw that (in my hands) does not skimp on quality - from the fence, to the power, to the riving knife mechanism, to the mobile base, to the manual. All top notch. I prefer a cabinet saw to a contractor saw for dust collection ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Unfortunately, Marshall, you've asked a question with partisan responses around SMC.

This thread, like many Sawstop threads, may get shut down if it gets hot.

For my part, I own a Sawstop PCS. Apart from the mechanism, it is a good, well-made saw that (in my hands) does not skimp on quality - from the fence, to the power, to the riving knife mechanism, to the mobile base, to the manual. All top notch. I prefer a cabinet saw to a contractor saw for dust collection ability.
    I'm still kind of new around here and didn't realize I may be starting fire with this thread. My apologies and hope that it won't get out of hand as my questions are legit. I really want to know how good the contractor saw is. I'm watching reviews on Youtube and reading everything I can find.

They are bigger now but these are the same 10 fingers I was born with and I've grown attached to them I've seen the videos and I think the technology is sound and works as advertised. I would really like to know how good the contractor saw really is.

Take a look at your insurance plan and determine what the co-pay is for an ER visit if you lose a thumb. Add that money to what your budget is for the SS Contractor and poof you're at the PCS! You can even show your wife the math

Adding - The dust collection is an important feature as well that isn't often thought of.

In the past year I had over $300k of medical bills (before insurance kicked in) for laryngeal cancer. I don't smoke, I don't drink heavily, I'm in excellent health and all I can think is environmental conditions contributed to this including being nonchalant about dust management and wearing a respirator.

Fast forward a year, I'm cancer free *knock on wood* and my hand power tools have changed to Festool for dust collection and my dust collection for big tools is a lot better.

The PCS has MUCH better dust collection. Just another thought.
    Last edited by Michael Rector; 02-08-2018 at 1:53 PM.

I went back and read my original post and it wasn't clear.

I'm taking about comparing a SawStop contractor saw to a non SawStop Cabinet saw. In other words how would it compare to a Grizzly or Delta cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    I went back and read my original post and it wasn't clear.

I'm taking about comparing a SawStop contractor saw to a non SawStop Cabinet saw. In other words how would it compare to a Grizzly or Delta cabinet saw.
    I am afraid there is no meaningful comparison between apples and oranges in the scenario you laid out.

Simon