Thread: “The Lady on the Fence” Life size

“The Lady on the Fence” Life size

Hi there
    I thought I’d post another life size carving that’s one of the series for the street sculptures of Chewton, Victoria, Australia. This one is of Mrs Frances White. Who experienced something in her backyard in 1949 that I dare say not many of us have experienced, Or have ever wanted too!

I will do a bit of cliff hanging here and make you read from the pics below. One is her story on the plaque that occompanies her sculpture. And the other is from the local paper about the unveiling of the sculpture.

And a interesting side note is that this particular event happened right next door to our house!!!

I know every town has some amazing story’s of events that have occurred. But it’s great that our little town is getting into sharing our stories with everyone. Even though they may not be historic they are great stories non the less!

Mrs White is carved from White Cedar. All with power tools and it took about a month.

Regards Richard

yates_lady_02.jpg

yates_lady_00_ec.jpg yates_lady_06.jpg

yates_lady_08.jpg yates_lady_05.jpg yates_lady_03.jpg

yates_lady_01.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-01-2018 at 3:36 PM. Reason: photos

Another amazing piece of work Richard! And quite a story - I'm glad Mrs. White escaped.

Thanks for posting this. I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hey thanks for that Fred! Yes it is a story that you don’t normally here of happening to folks on a regular basis! Mrs White was very fortunate that day that’s for sure.
    I’ll post a fourth carved sculpture in the Chewton streetscape series soon.

Regards Richard

I love these things. And seeing the rough blocking out , really emphasizes the difficulty. It's like ..."you found her in That!?"

Hi Mel. I agree with you. I love to see the progress photos of a carving too. I try to always take pics as I go but sometimes I forget and don’t take a lot or any at all!
    But I‘m going to make a better effort on that and to share those pics more on my postings. Thanks Mel

regards Richard Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Yates View Post
    Hi Mel. I agree with you. I love to see the progress photos of a carving too. I try to always take pics as I go but sometimes I forget and don’t take a lot or any at all!
    But I‘m going to make a better effort on that and to share those pics more on my postings. Thanks Mel
    You've about convinced us to come visit Chewton just to see your amazing sculptures with our own eyes! Well, maybe to visit the artist and get an autograph too. My Lovely Bride asked if you are planning to be home in 2019.

I'd love to see more photos in progress too. And don't forget the priceless pics of the artist himself making chips or pounding steel!! That makes it real and personal.

To inspire you, here's one of me at the lathe.
    lego_woodturning.jpg

JKJ

John, I love the photo! Let me know if you decide to Lego of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John, I love the photo! Let me know if you decide to Lego of it.
    I actually stole, er, borrowed the photo from someone else years ago. I plan to make one from Legos but more realistic with tools scattered everywhere and junk all over the floor.

Hi John.
    Great shot of your shop and you. Would love to see some pics of plastic flying from the Lego Lathe!

Yes were here pretty much all of 2019. Were kind of home bodies and just love being here. But we love to show friends around our special little area and we’d love to have you and your bride over for a dose of Australian hospitality and a good and proper visit!

I’ll also dig up a good photo of me in action Jackson mode making chips fly!

And Mel great line. “ Let me know if you want to LEGO of it! “ LOL

Richard

Here’s a great pic taken by photographer John Tozer for his upcoming Exhibition. It’s a pic of me glamming it up in my wood gladiator attire hard at it making lots of wood chips!

yates_lady_08.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-01-2018 at 6:15 AM. Reason: photo

Richard, you have serious talent Sir. KUDOS!!!!