Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand plane

Hand plane

Hi I'm new to the creek so I will be asking several questions. I hope you'll bare with me. As I've been researching jointer I've noticed some people say that they use a hand plane to smooth their lumber. I've never used one. How can I learn that skill. Is there a book or DVD. Is there a certain YouTube video I can loom up. Which hand plane should I buy if I decide to practice that skill. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Byers View Post
    Hi I'm new to the creek so I will be asking several questions. I hope you'll bare with me. As I've been researching jointer I've noticed some people say that they use a hand plane to smooth their lumber. I've never used one. How can I learn that skill. Is there a book or DVD. Is there a certain YouTube video I can loom up. Which hand plane should I buy if I decide to practice that skill. Thanks guys
    To get oriented I think you should look for "Coarse, Medium & Fine" an article Christopher Schwarz for Popular Woodworking mag. (Sorry, no issue number. I have it in a reprint.) It describes the strategy of using planes as a system for working wood from rough lumber to finished panels. Ah, searched and found it online.

Searching I find Kieran has written something similar on his blog Coarse, Medium, and Fine

That will get you started and once it puts things into context the other details & tutorials will make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    ... should look for "Coarse, Medium & Fine" an article Christopher Schwarz ...
    Let me add, I'm not sure Schwarz is the best source for the minutiae of planing. (Late to the chip-breaker renaissance, etc.) I just think he does a great overview and that may be all you need right now. Many many folk have offered their take on details of using a plane for a specific task. You need to find someone knowledgeable who teaches in a way you understand. Also, you should visit the Neanderthal sub-forum, that's where the local plane users will be. Hands on instruction would be best. If there's school you could attend or if e.g. Lie-Nielsen's road show was near by or you had a mentor you'd "get" it much faster.

Thanks guys, I downloaded the article by Schwartz. I'll read it soon. I would learn so much better if I was taught. I live in a small town in northern ca. I don't think that will be any woodworking shows near me. I tried to update my creeker profile to let others know wher i live. Id love to meet a fellow woodworker. Thanks guys

Hi Brian, and welcome! As David suggested, put a post in the Neaderthal Haven sub-group. There are probably some folks near your area that would be happy to give you an introduction to bench planes.

Paul Sellers has good Videos and blog posts on the topic, just Google him or look at his YouTube channel.

As phil said this belongs in the Neandertal haven, probably gonna get moved there.

Thanks guys, I downloaded the article by Schwartz. I'll read it soon. I would learn so much better if I was taught. I live in a small town in northern ca. I don't think that will be any woodworking shows near me. I tried to update my creeker profile to let others know wher i live. Id love to meet a fellow woodworker. Thanks guys
    Brian, Over the years I have found that hand planes (block, smoothing, etc.) have their place in woodworking. Christopher Schwarz has a book out which is called Handplane Essentials (I think). It's a great book and gives a lot of basic information about planes and their uses plus sharpening. A few years ago I took a weekend class on sharpening from Christopher. Great class, but in answer to a question in class as to the progression of planes he goes through to flatten, smooth and thickness, he said he uses power equipment when building furniture as it is not economical for him to use handplanes for these tasks if he is building something to sell. I think learning about hand planes, their uses, and sharpening is a great way to understand the basics of woodworking. However, I use hand planes for the purpose of finish work, like shaving small amounts off a drawer or door to make it fit perfectly and square, chamfering an edge to ease the corners and edges. So, to do some basic projects with hand planes completely to learn about woodworking is a great idea. After the understanding is there, for me, I don't have the patience to use a handplane to flatten a board when I can use a power jointer and planer and get the same or better results in a fraction of the time.

Search Youtube for 'hand planes'. Once you are all fired up, start practicing
    Best wishes, Metod

Look up David Charlesworth. He has a video that you can get through Lie Nielsen that is great. It’s a very precise way of working.

Also, the Woodwright Shop Episode with Schwarz called Handplane Essentials is a good primer.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Brian and welcome to the Creek.

Hopefully you have found the Neanderthal Haven area here by now.

The second post from the top is: Sticky: Neanderthal Sticky Threads clicking on that will take you to a page with three choices. Click on Neanderthal Wisdom / FAQs. There is a lot of information to find in the links listed on that page including one of mine:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....th-Hand-Planes

It covers a lot of the details of getting started with hand planes.

One thing to remember with most hand planes and many other tools is, "sharp cures most problems."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Brian, I suggest you get a handplane and mess around with it. A used Stanley #4 is a great place to start. It is a kind of benchmark standard and can be easily obtained. Maybe someone on this forum can hook you up with one that is in good working order and is well sharpened. Make certain that someone who really, truly knows how to use handplanes sharpens it for you. Sharp is a word that you do not yet fully understand, but it is critical to handplane success. In any event, hands on exploration will reward you. Enjoy - and beware. You are going to like this!

Hi Brian. I’m somewhat in the same boat as you. I just sold my power Jointer and I’m selling my power planer as well as my router setup and going to hand tools. In my case I just don’t find working with these power tools enjoyable. At my age (74) I’m not making furniture or remodeling anything just small boxes and trays and tool chests. I want to have fun doing it and the videos these fellas have suggested are a great help in understanding. I’ve spent time just experimenting and using the planes I have and that’s the best teaching for me. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome Brian . You have done good by visiting Sawmill Creek for information. There is a vast storage of information in this sights archive if you like exploring.
    Paul Sellers is a good teacher and a very talented wood worker. Utube is your friend for his videos as previously mentioned.

Try again, your location update didn't take. (I'm assuming you mean northern northern California, not SLO town and up as so many in our southern population center think about it. Honestly, looking at a map, I'm not sure why I'm in "northern" CA. More like middle.) Anyway....

One of the best woodworking schools in the world, the Krenov School at the College of Mendocino, is in Ft. Bragg, CA. (In addition to degree programs, they offer summer workshops.) Another well regarded school is Port Townsend School of Woodworking, in Port Townsend, WA. They're not close exactly, but they're closer to you than I and I keep saying I'm going someday. I'm sure there are smaller less famous opportunities even closer to you. E.g. I see a Woodcraft in Sacramento that probably has classes. Let us know where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Searching I find Kieran has written something similar on his blog Coarse, Medium, and Fine
    Hmm, I have some concerns about some of his claims about technique in that article.

For example, his assertion that "domed" (convex) boards can only be worked end to end until almost flat leads to a needlessly inefficient working style. You just need enough of a flat at the top for the toe to register to at the start of each traversing stroke, and not even that if you can control where the plane cuts when traversing, and then avoid rocking it to follow the board's crown once in the cut (I can do both, and I'm not very skilled). Once you have a couple inches of flat it's pretty straightforward, and deep traversing cuts are a LOT more efficient than lengthwise ones. This is important, because ~3/4 of the stuff that needs to be removed to flatten a cupped board is on the convex side, so you really don't want to slow yourself down on that face.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-08-2018 at 1:49 PM.