Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (not) Cutting 1/4" Cork Sheet

(not) Cutting 1/4" Cork Sheet

I have a 130W chinese laser and am trying to cut 1/4" cork on it. I run it at 80% (30mA) and 15 speed and results are variable. Ideally it would cut well enough that the pieces would fall out but that is rare and it is not uncommon for it to not cut all the way through. Depends on where in the field it is but it makes no sense to me. I have played around with the focal length and have tried to double cut (that does not work). Seems like if I go too slow it starts to char more. Could it make a big difference to put an additional air source on it (It already does have one).

Anyone have experience cutting thicker cork?
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Density varies Danny, I try to avoid cork like the plague
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Density varies Danny, I try to avoid cork like the plague
    I found that too, but have cut it with just 45 Watts, doing 2-3 passes, at a faster speed, with 40 lbs. air assist, and misted with water before starting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I agree with the previous comments but I would try focusing into the material by about 1/16".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What does the water misting do Joe? I will try that, along with doing multiple passes at reduced power and increased speed.
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Blog Entries
    keeps it from burning.... Cork is bark and is extremely variable.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I also, no matter how much I play around with it, can't seem to get a really crisp cut line on the cork that tells me I have the focus spot on.
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Blog Entries
    It's like any other material, measure to focus, maybe shorten the distance to have true focus below the surface. But again, it just won't be super clean cut due to the material.

Misting with water did seem to help. Still not getting great results (ideally the cork pieces would just fall out after cutting and I wouldn't spend good time manually popping each one out). Doing multiple passes hasn't improved anything yet. Increased the speed but the second and third passes did not appreciably improve the cut.
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

I would suggest dialing-in the settings to allow just one pass, good air-assist, transfer paper on both sides, and a clean lens.

The type of cork really matters too (large grain, small grain, etc.).

I have had pretty good luck with cutting cork. When I get back to the office, I'll look at my settings and get back to you.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Thanks Matt, what does the transfer paper help with? I am more concerned with actually cutting through the cork than I am about aesthetics (some burn darkening is acceptable, its for function more than form)
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    I have had pretty good luck with cutting cork. When I get back to the office, I'll look at my settings and get back to you.
    That would be great. I know that working with 1/4 inch cork has been much more challenging than any 1/4 inch woods I have tried cutting. I would take it to a water jet if it wasn't so expensive.
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by daniel coyle View Post
    Thanks Matt, what does the transfer paper help with? I am more concerned with actually cutting through the cork than I am about aesthetics (some burn darkening is acceptable, its for function more than form)
    Discoloration on the front and back of the cork.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel coyle View Post
    That would be great. I know that working with 1/4 inch cork has been much more challenging than any 1/4 inch woods I have tried cutting. I would take it to a water jet if it wasn't so expensive.
    You might be able to stack several layers of cork on the waterjet.

About focusing below the surface-- when cutting, you want your beam spot at its maximum power density. Because the beam is tapered, max power is achieved at the point where the beam reaches it's smallest diameter, and you want that point right at or just slightly below the surface of what you're cutting. As you cut, the kerf is only slightly larger than the focused beam spot. So, if you focus a good distance below the surface of the work, the wider sides of the beam will be partially blocked by the edges of the kerf. That blocked light energy is lost, never reaching the focal point, substantially reducing the beam's max power density. Any possible gain in cutting power by focusing lower into the cut is likely more than offset by the unfocused light being absorbed. The power density falls off as the cut moves deeper anyway, focusing lower just gives the power loss a head start

Focusing a snick under the surface is okay, just stay within 1/2 of your lens's depth of field. Longer 3" and 4" lenses have much less taper and longer depth of field than 2" lenses, so they allow for more wiggle-room than a 2" lens would...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle