Hi All,

My name is Steve. Nice to meet everyone. After moving into our new house in the Dallas area, I realized a few things while furniture shopping. 1. It's hard to find the color and the style that we want and when we find it, it's not too affordable. 2. Even if we can afford the piece, after careful inspection, the quality is just not there. 3. Finding 1 piece of furniture then trying to find another to match it is even harder. After many nights of browsing, I am starting to think building my own furniture might just be the best way to go. Instead of jumping into it I would like to know more about woodworking and learn more about it before I turn my garage into a shop and be able to give my wife good reasons why our garage will be filled with saw dust =) I understand that power tools are not a requirement but it definitely helps when it comes to woodworking. I currently have a power drill, 12" dual bevel sliding miter saw, circular saw, and a kreg jig k5 kit. It seems like I would need a table saw, planer, and/or jointer to make pieces flat and square since the lumber from either the yard or BORG are just rough cuts? My second question is that, I currently do not have a workbench. Can I make a workbench with the tools that I currently have or should I buy one to start with then make a workbench as I go? Any suggestions on books, website, and YouTube videos that I should watch before I first attempt on anything? It would be great if I can find a mentor but unfortunately I do not know anyone who is into woodworking. Any advice for a newbie like me would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!