Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with shellac

Problem with shellac

Has anybody here had a problem with quart cans of zinnser shellac leaking from the bottom of the can, at the seam between the side and the bottom of the can? Was the shellac fresh or old? Did you have a can leak from ayou have hanny other place on the can?
    I have had this happen twice, and I am wondering if I am the sole person in the USA to experience this. A Zinnser rep told me they have never heard of this happening. Please let me know if you have had this happen.
    Thanks.
    Pete Leyden

Blog Entries
    Yes. I emailed Zinsser with the date code and they sent me a coupon for a new can . . . twice. There is some water in DNA and long term storage in the can has bit me twice out of a couple dozen cans. I now just transfer the shellac to large mason jars; no more problems in years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by peter leyden View Post
    Has anybody here had a problem with quart cans of zinnser shellac leaking from the bottom of the can, at the seam between the side and the bottom of the can? Was the shellac fresh or old? Did you have a can leak from ayou have hanny other place on the can?
    I have had this happen twice, and I am wondering if I am the sole person in the USA to experience this. A Zinnser rep told me they have never heard of this happening. Please let me know if you have had this happen.
    Thanks.
    Pete Leyden
    Zinsser rep is lying or not paying attention. This seems fairly common, certainly you're not the only one, search the forums as this has come up before. (And I'm sure there are many of us who have had the problem, but never complained.) As Glenn says, decant.

All my attempts as a kid to use canned shellac were failures .Same thing for friends and family. Canned shellac is responsible for myths about real fresh mixed shellac.

I've had it happen twice, too; both on the side seams, and once on a gallon can that was only a few months old. What the Zinsser guy told you is what they tell everyone. They must be taught that on their first day on the job. I don't know why they leak, but I have to believe Zinsser could find a solution if they wanted to.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've had it happen twice, too; both on the side seams, and once on a gallon can that was only a few months old. What the Zinsser guy told you is what they tell everyone. They must be taught that on their first day on the job. I don't know why they leak, but I have to believe Zinsser could find a solution if they wanted to.

John
    John absolutely. I have had the amazing dissolving sealcoat can happen twice, first time the bottom of the can kind of dissolved and leaked all over a shelf, second time the seam on the side sprung a leak, which was caught before it was a full scale environmental disaster.

IIRC, I believe the reason for leaking cans was attributed to shellac being acidic, the acidity attacks the can from the inside out.

You guys are freaking me out. It’s never happened to me, but given where I store this stuff, it would be a complete mess. Looks like a few mason jars will be on the shopping list this weekend. Thanks for posting this!

I've never had it happen to me but I tend to use the dewaxed shellac fairly quickly. I buy in quart cans.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Count me in. In my case it was a gallon can, and what a mess it made. Now I use mason jars as others have mentioned. How hard could this possibly be for Zinsser to resolve?

On the plus side, Sealcoat is a great product.

I did have one can do this a number of years ago...it was nearly empty and had been hanging around for awhile. I forgot it and left it in a place I shouldn't have. That's been the only incident, however...I use the stuff quick enough that even if it is hungry for steel cans, it doesn't have time to have its meal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Mel - the best way is to mix your own shellac from flakes and DNA. You can mix up as much as you need, and it doesn't go stale (or rust) sitting on the shelf.

Mystery solved! About 6 months ago one of my cans began leaking, but I couldn’t figure out which one. Since I had about 6 all touching each other, I didn’t know which was the culprit. Had to scrape the drawer of a thick coating of finish. I think there wasn’t much left in the seal coat so I chucked it, though that may have been because it all leaked out!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Some of us forget Rich! Especially when it didn’t appear to have matttered at the time.

Rich,it's ALL been covered ! It's what we do..... Look for breakthroughs!