Thread: 240v Machinery Wiring Question

240v Machinery Wiring Question

I'm in the process of wiring my new C26 Genius at my house upstate and am wondering if I've got the below configuration correct. The machine will be wired with a length of 10/4 SOOW to a NEMA 14-30 plug which (obviously) includes a neutral. My question is–where do I connect the (white) neutral wire from the cord to the enclosure on the machine as shown below? Either of the two open terminals in the center? Does this matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Peter, the machine doesn't use a neutral.

Buy 10/3 cab tyre instead of 10/4.

If you already have the 10/4 put a wire nut on the end of the neutral wire, don't connect it to anything.............Regards, Rod.

Awesome, thanks so much! Was actually hoping I'd catch you at lunch...

Full report on the C26 once I've got it up and running!

Look forward to that Peter, it's a great machine..............Regards, Rod.

Rod is correct. Outside of CNC systems that also require 120v internally for certain things, most woodworking machinery is "straight" 240v and therefore, doesn't require or use a neutral connection. You only need a "plain old" 240v circuit with two hots and the ground. You 'can' user the L14 terminations you have, but you don't need a four wire L14 setup for your machine. The three wire plug and recepticle is all that is required.

Enjoy your new C26! Nice machine for the money and it should serve you well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like to live dangerously and I often carry a neutral to a 240 only machine. This allows me to add a 120 outlet somewhere on the front so I can plug in a drill or drop light if needed. Of course they are not fused to a safe amperage so I unplug as soon as I am done. On my lathe I am in process of adding a 120outlet now. It will be used to add a heater to prevent winter time condensation so I will add a small fuse holder into the circuit.
    Bill

Ordered wire and a plug from McMaster today so hopefully I can get it put together and running this weekend when I'm up at the house.

I received it last December prior to selling my Hitachi table saw and F-1000A last weekend. The shop is only 12'x14' so the other two machines had to go out before I could even move around in there. Feels great to have it in place but the space itself needs a lot of work.

Ya know....you can get the 10 gage rubber cord by the foot and the plug/recepticle from Home Depot...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tried that, the HD by the house is 45 min away in Catskill and stock for by the foot 10/3 SOOW couldn't be verified online. McMaster in NJ delivers next day to NYC so I know I'll have everything prior to heading out Thursday eve.

Few dollars more but worth it imo.

Same kind of deal with my HD but.... They do not show 4 conductor cord but sometimes have cutoff pieces for cheaper? hard to know if it is really cheaper since they do not sell it except as remnants?
    The web site and cord rack is also confused. wire with two hots and a neutral with ground is sometimes called three conductor or four conductor.
    The three phase wire is again not sold there except as remanents it is also sold as either 3 or 4 conductors
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Same kind of deal with my HD but.... They do not show 4 conductor cord but sometimes have cutoff pieces for cheaper? hard to know if it is really cheaper since they do not sell it except as remnants?
    The web site and cord rack is also confused. wire with two hots and a neutral with ground is sometimes called three conductor or four conductor.
    The three phase wire is again not sold there except as remanents it is also sold as either 3 or 4 conductors
    Bill D
    Hi Bill, in building wire, the ground is not counted so 3 wire plus ground would simply be listed as 3 conductor.

For flexible cable (cab Tyre) the ground is included in the conductor count.................Regards, Rod.

I see the difference now but thanks for the information. I was referring to rubber covered cords so they should all use the same counting system.

Circuit breakers are not fuses for your machines either.

The rubber cord or flexible cable is call (So) wire.