Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transporting 12' lumber for hobbyists

Transporting 12' lumber for hobbyists

Hi all,

I am about to transport a large load of 8', 10', and 12" lumber over a couple hundred miles. My question is: how do us "hobbyists" accomplish this (i.e., those of us that don't do this regularly and don't have a special setup like a trailer to do so)?

I have a shortbed truck which works fine for 8' lumber. Even 10' lumber can work if the load isn't too heavy - just tie it down and flag the extra 4' off the end of the truck and AFAIK it's all legal and safe. But 12' lumber is too long, especially for a long distance. Regardless, my particular load is about 1,500 lbs and exceeds the payload capacity of my truck.

Enterprise rentals offers Ford Transit and Dodge ProMaster vans. These both have 10' cargo lengths and about 3,000 lb payload. Rental rates are very reasonable: about $70/day and unlimited miles.

Ryder rentals offers Sprinter vans with 12' cargo lengths. But for these vans you pay per mile, making them unaffordable for longer trips.

Any advice?

Rent a trailer and use your truck.

If I only have a couple of pieces I open the rear sliding window on my pickup and stick it through the window gets about four feet inside the cab but I don't have several hundred miles to make the transport either.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For the difference between renting a trailer and truck, I would rent a truck and save the wear and tear on your own. If the cargo exceeds the load capacity, then adding a trailer to that is not a good formula. Don't know what truck you have but I know a guy who burned up his transmission doing that with an S-10.

I wouldn't rent the van you'll have to tie the doors together.

The towing capacity of most trucks is a lot more than the cargo capacity. A trailer is the way to go, as long as you're not trying to pull it with an S-10.

Blog Entries
    Towing 1500 pounds with a 6 cylinder truck should be easy. Most Bass boats weigh more than that and people tow them all the time. I have a 2102 Honda Pilot with a 6 cylinder engine and the towing capacity is 4500 pounds. I frequently tow a 3,000 pound travel trailer with no issues other than a hit to the gas mileage. If you return the rental trailer to the same place you picked it up, the rates are pretty reasonable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all the replies so far. The advice to rent a trailer is probably the best solution for most hobbyists with a truck.

Unfortunately in my case, I have a 4-cylinder truck. Even if I installed a class 3 hitch (about $200 - $350 I think), my little truck wouldn't have the guts to do my particular haul. My truck works great for 90% of the homeowner tasks I use it for, but not bigger jobs like this.

My 5x8 utility trailer is flat and isn't closed off front and back. I've easily handled 16' boards, centered on the hitch line and have often transported more typical 10-12' stock just flat on the bed. Obviously, anything hanging off the back needs to be marked/flagged accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Roof rack of my station wagon for project loads, or my 14' (bed) utility trailer if roof rack isn't up to the task. If engineered (sheet) goods, and delivery is possible, have it delivered. In fact – from a time and efficiency perspective – having materials of virtually any sort delivered is the best solution. Most places I deal with allow you to select and then have them deliver. Basically I try to avoid the trailer if possible.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Do you actually need 12' lengths? If not, figure out what you need and cut appropriately. For me, 7' and 5' works with very little waste when I have the same problem.

Find some good old Redneck and buy him a case of beer.

Been a while since I last rented, but we found a bigger U-Haul truck was about the same cost as their vans once all the "mandatory fees" got added on to the van. A big old moving truck that's 5% full would give you flexibility and, back then at least, not cost much more than their pickups or vans. Might be worth getting a quote. (I also like getting a friend's truck, cutting the boards to rough length, or getting delivery as options.)

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Do you actually need 12' lengths? If not, figure out what you need and cut appropriately. For me, 7' and 5' works with very little waste when I have the same problem.
    This
    I rarely need anything longer than a typical door. (84")

I've carried a 26' boat on a RAV4 roof rack 500 miles.
    I've also carried 16' long 4x4s.

But most roof racks won't carry over 150', so that won't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cobbing View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The advice to rent a trailer is probably the best solution for most hobbyists with a truck.

Unfortunately in my case, I have a 4-cylinder truck. Even if I installed a class 3 hitch (about $200 - $350 I think), my little truck wouldn't have the guts to do my particular haul. My truck works great for 90% of the homeowner tasks I use it for, but not bigger jobs like this.
    I have a 4 cylinder Subaru Forester (turbo if that matters, and 15 years old). I hauled a 1300+ lb planer on my HF folding trailer in the fall without issue, and done so with ease. I kept it below 60(my comfort zone with the load) and aniticpated well in advance for any turning or braking.