Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For sale: Tesla Convertible- as is, where is

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    The impressive part was sticking the simultaneous landings of the two booster rockets.

I grew up on science fiction from Andre Norton and Robert Heinlein etc when rockets had fins and landed on their tails. Impressive feat.
    Watching that literally brought tears to my eyes. The things we are capable of (and will be capable of in the future) are utterly amazing

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another bar conversation that says "I bet you can't bring it back...."
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Hey guys, I'm selling my Tesla, but it's sold as-is, where is. It's brand new, but very high mileage. Very clean except for a little stardust. I'm throwing in a free space suit with purchase.

Attachment 378516

....but seriously, that was a pretty cool stunt. I'm not sure I agree with more space junk out there for legitimate space missions to have to dodge, but it's still cool. I wonder if this all came about because of some drunken conversation with Elon Musk at a bar- "Hey, I bet you can't send your car into space." "Challenge accepted."
    If it's low and slow enough it won't be space junk for long I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If it's low and slow enough it won't be space junk for long I'd guess.
    It's not really low and slow...it will be looping around the sun on an elliptical orbit that goes out as far as Mars.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

when the 2 boosters made their landing it was accompanied by a pop-pop noise. was this becuase they broke the sound barrier?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    when the 2 boosters made their landing it was accompanied by a pop-pop noise. was this becuase they broke the sound barrier?
    The news said there were twin sonic booms. Not sure if that was the pop-pop you refer to. But yes breaking the sound barrier creates a sonic boom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's not really low and slow...it will be looping around the sun on an elliptical orbit that goes out as far as Mars.
    From what I have heard most scientists think that solar winds will tear it apart within 2 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    From what I have heard most scientists think that solar winds will tear it apart within 2 years.
    I'm wondering if particles of asteroids- even ones as small as pebbles- will be an issue. I seem to recall reading that it will pass near an asteroid belt on its journey.

Well Mars orbits the sun at a speed of about 53,000 miles per hour. With its considerably smaller mass I'm not sure what the orbit speed of Mr. Musk's Tesla would be, but I'm with you, it probably won't be low or slow. Although I guess in the world of astronomy, low and slow are relative terms and wouldn't have the same meaning in space that they have to a bunch of fire ants like us. The whole field of astronomy and space exploration is really mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That’s a great video. I participated in several rocket launches and I can tell you the sound is enormous. It rattles every fiber of your body. The rockets we flew were bottle rockets compared to the Falcon Heavy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Another case of life imitating art....

Blog Entries
    And now- enter the conspiracy theorists. I love the one where “Rocket Man” is actually a live person drugged by Musk in an elaborate murder scheme.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...=6091327386630

Blog Entries
    Even cartoonist are getting in to the act:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...n=true#image=5

This is a compilation of cartoons and my attempt to find a link to the origin of the David Horsey drawing was unsuccessful. Currently it is in window 5 it will likely be a few more windows deeper tomorrow or the next day. Just keep clicking on the right side of the window until you get to the one that has to do with this thread.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ah, I assumed it would be in earth orbit.