Thread: Black Locust

Black Locust

Back in the late 70s to early 80s I was working for my neighbor doing wood working. One of the hardwoods he used since it was plentiful on his and my family acres was black locust. In fact I built a deck on the back of my families house totally out of black locust. I built from chairs to cabinets, doors and actually help make a sailing mast a few times. I do remember that that wood would dull high speed steel quick and resharping hand planes alot after working with that wood . I found a place in Greenville Texas that sells 1x10x8 black locust planks for 25 dollars and since I live in Rockwall Texas it aint to far. I have a few projects around the house I am going to use it for. I was just wondering what 7 1/2 saw blades and 10 inch saw blades would be best for cutting it now days?

I would think any good quality blade would cut it. But, as you remember, It will dull them fairly quick compared to other woods. What would you expect from wood that lasts 100+ years buried in the dirt.

Any good quality Carbide tipped blade will work, Carbide lasts alot longer then HSS. Just pick your poison.

Black Locust is Hard Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    ... I do remember that that wood would dull high speed steel quick and resharping hand planes alot after working with that wood .
    I remember vividly sparks flying from a chainsaw cutting 4 x 4 locust posts. The posts, buried deep in the ground, were the vertical structure of a shed that still stands after forty years.

Carbide blades and bits work fine. I haven't noticed it dull my tooling any more than other hard woods, even my HSS planer knives.

John

Blog Entries
    I'm currently building a desk from Hickory and I'm using Freud carbide tipped blades. Black locust (Janka 1700) isn't as hard as Hickory (Janka 1820) so any quality carbide tipped blade should work. Be sure to use a backer board on cross cuts to prevent tear out on the back side of cuts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have worked with Black locust a bit lately (milling, machining) and – contrary to its reputation – haven't found it any more difficult to work with than any other hardwood.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thank y'all for your replies . I kinda figuire with todays tech that blades and such will stand up alot better and I do buy the mid price blades for my electric handsaw and tablesaw.