Thread: 5x6' Sign Question

Question 5x6' Sign Question

I have a friend who is in the process of making a 5' x 6' foot sign out of Rowmark's Heavy Weights 3/4" thick plastic. His CNC machine is 4' x 4'. The big problem is the sheets come in 4' x 8' sheets which is a foot too small height wise. Can 2 pieces of plastic be joined together somehow? Is there another solution that I'm not aware of?
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Many plastics can be chemically welded ("glued") together. What's the best solvent for that particular material is information that should come from the manufacturer. The challenge here will to be get it so the seam is not visible, so very careful planning for where things land on the sign will be necessary so that the tiling required to build it on the smaller machine permits smoothing things out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The last time I faced a similar problem I used solid surface material for a large sign I made for the US Navy at Dam Neck Navy Base. I had to glue up three pieces of Corian to meet the job size and Dye-Sub requirements, however Corian is very easy to make seamless joints since color matched adhesive is available. If you cannot acquire a color matched adhesive the chances of providing an invisible joint are pretty slim.

Pretty clear voice of experience!