Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walker Turner 20 inch drill press, Model 1100

Walker Turner 20 inch drill press, Model 1100

Well, as it turns out, retirement allows me to attend auctions whenever I want! So I bought a 20 inch W-T press today for $350. It was a monster to get out of the basement where the PO had his shop, but three of us managed to move it and load in my pickup. I unloaded at home with my engine hoist and that procedure worked out like a champ. Now have to do some reassembly and see how it works. It has the power feed and everything is there. The production table is pristine, no drill marks and has slots machined for vise attachments. Motor is single phase. From the W-T badge, appears to be manufactured prior to 1948, serial number is shown as 27-1144. Hopefully the spindle bearings are OK and I wire the motor back correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by joseph mansker View Post
    Well, as it turns out, retirement allows me to attend auctions whenever I want! So I bought a 20 inch W-T press today for $350. It was a monster to get out of the basement where the PO had his shop, but three of us managed to move it and load in my pickup. I unloaded at home with my engine hoist and that procedure worked out like a champ. Now have to do some reassembly and see how it works. It has the power feed and everything is there. The production table is pristine, no drill marks and has slots machined for vise attachments. Motor is single phase. From the W-T badge, appears to be manufactured prior to 1948, serial number is shown as 27-1144. Hopefully the spindle bearings are OK and I wire the motor back correctly!
    Pictures????? It didn't happen.......

Bill do you see a WT drill press?I don't,something that big we should be able to see it,right?
    Oh dang Joseph that is awesome,and with power feed at a give away price.WT made nothing but quality in those days and you are the proud owner,congrats sir and welcome to SM Creek

WT an Atlas made some of my favorite drill presses

Gentlemen....I have posted pictures of the DP as requested. The press is shown in as recieved condition. I had lowered the head assembly and removed the motor for transport, but raised the head and re-attached the 1.5 HP motor this afternoon, rewired and tested. It works! I do not know how to engage the power feed yet, so if anyone has a tip for me I would appreciate the advice. I put a Starrett Last Word Indicator on the quill, rotated the quill by hand and it shows 0.010" runout. So, all in all, I am feeling pretty pleased with the purchase.

Bill,
    Yes, mine is a model 1100..probably made between 1944 and 1948.
    JoeIMG-0399.jpgIMG-0401.jpgIMG-0402.jpgIMG-0404.jpgIMG-0398.jpg

I had a larger version of that with the fixed table and a head that cranked up and down. Nice drill press, very nice. My brother still has the model that you have without the feed but with a Reeves drive. Mine was reversible and could be used for tapping with the power feed but you had to get the drill and feed speeds sycronized for the tap at hand.

That lever on the front controls the feed, really only good for steel, but still cool. Its simple, you will figure it out easily.

The return springs are like gold so treat it with care. I wanted a unit that took up less real estate so I bought a Clausing, but I have to say the old Walker Turners once you get to that level are pretty damn good. Enjoy, you did well.

Be carefull about sanding the post, I use Ospho and a light scrub with a scotchbrite pad. If you get carried away your table will be sloppy and there is no adjustment. Ospho will stop the rust and turn it Gray/Black and just live with that, its fine.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-20-2018 at 6:54 PM.

Thanks Larry for the info on rust removal on the post. I used a wire wheel to remove some of the rust just to see how it would work. Will get some scotch brite pads and go over it.
    Joe

Print the manual that Bill posted link to,that will help you understand how it works.Very nice DP

I like the big bearing on the bottom of the post to swivel the table, and the crank mechanism being at the right angle so you don't bang your hand on an auxiliary table, and smooth to boot. You can tell the Clausing has ties to Walker Turner as they still use that same system today, and it is a joy to use.

There was an add on Reeves drive for those that works wonderfully, I will keep my eye open for one in my travels.

It happened........ very nice drill press! This will clean up nicely.

Fellas....I have an idea that might be a little wacky so I need a sanity check. I found another WT 1100 yesterday for sale nearby. It's a benchtop set up. I wanted it initially to obtain the belt guard, but thought about taking the head raising gear and rack and adding it to my floor press. Why?...I dunno....cause I can I guess. Has anyone ever heard of this being done and would it be useful for any reason? Thanks...I will return to my corner, quietly mumbling to myself.....

Very nice - a table with no holes! Wow, that’s rare.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph mansker View Post
    Fellas....I have an idea that might be a little wacky so I need a sanity check. I found another WT 1100 yesterday for sale nearby. It's a benchtop set up. I wanted it initially to obtain the belt guard, but thought about taking the head raising gear and rack and adding it to my floor press. Why?...I dunno....cause I can I guess. Has anyone ever heard of this being done and would it be useful for any reason? Thanks...I will return to my corner, quietly mumbling to myself.....

If I remember correctly the head that goes up and down is fixed as far as swing. So if you had a fixture close but did not want to move the table, but did want to lower the head you could do it without moving the table as the table can also swing when loosened

I looked at that when my brother and I had the presses in the same building. What the heck?

That machine is prior to 1947 when Kerney & Trecker bought W/T. Probably close to the 1947 year. On the table raising gearbox, I just replaced the worm gear in mine and if yo need one, it is a 1220 SR gear. The bor is 5/8" and it has a keyway and set screw. The table raising mechanism is not as nice as the Delta 17" DPs. I put a needle thrust bearing on the worm shaft and that was a help. The spindle pulley bearings can be had, but the shaft is only .009" over sized form a standard bearing and I turned mine down to take "normal" bearings.

CPeter

The old and new gears
    IMG_0375.JPG