Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade my sanders stable

Time to upgrade my sanders stable

One of the projects on my some day list has been a live edge walnut dining room table. Last night I found a couple slabs that fit so well together I couldn't pass them up. My newest ROS is a PC 343 that is well over 10 years old and on its last legs.
    I'm thinking that with this new project I need new sanders. I want sanders to cover a wide range of capability so I only have to reach for one of the two for 99% of my sanding. What to you think about the combo of both the Bosch ROS65VC-6 and the Bosch 1250DEVS?

I don't own the 1250DEVS, but I do own the ROS65VC and have been very happy with it. The vibration control really works. I also like that it's easy to change pads. I have 5" for smaller pieces (discs are cheaper and I have a bunch from my previous sander) and 6" for larger panels. In the 6" I have soft for baltic birch plywood and hard for yellow pine so the soft grain doesn't dish out as bad.

I did a 4' x 10' live edge table a while back and used my CNC with a 1.5" surfacing bit to flatten it. I started with a belt sander to remove the router bit marks. The two ROS may not take care of 99% of your sanding depending on how you flatten the top. I'm guessing the 1250DEVS is one of the dual mode types, so maybe it will.

I haven't kept up with Bosch lately, but why would you need both of those sanders? With "dual mode" on the 1250, shouldn't that cover all the bases?

I own the Bosch 1250DEVS and previously the Rotex 150 and like Bosch better - it's easier to control in aggressive mode. I also use the 1250DEVS for car polishing.

Mike

I had owned the Bosch 1250 before “upgrading” to Festool Rotex. When I realized it was not really an upgrade it was past the return window for Festool. If it is still the same Swiss made Bosch, that is an excellent tool. Highly recommend it.

Regardless of the brand you choose, if you're going to invest in new sanders, shoot for good dust collection and minimal vibration. Both of those things are very important for this particular tool for both safety and comfort. Try to also get to hold the prospects in a meaningful way to insure they fit your hand(s) and support the way you work. I'm not at all familiar with the Bosch sanders, but they do seem to get good comments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unfortunately I don't know of any local place to try these. I'm relying on all the reviews online. I don't think I can go too wrong with SMC advice.

For those who own the 1250DEVS, how fine is the fine mode? Do I need the ROS65VC-6 as well?
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 02-06-2018 at 7:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the ROS65VC-6 & like it a lot. Fast, very smooth & the dust collection is excellent even without a vacuum. The only negative is that it's a little tall, but I think that goes with the territory when you've got a more powerful tool.

A think a lot of the height of the ROS65VC-6 is because of the anti-vibration dampening system. It takes room to isolate the pad from your hand. With the front handle I don't find the height to be a problem and even use it one handed on occasion.

I ordered the 1250DEVS since I'm sure I will be needing the coarse mode.

Any feedback on the 1250DEVS fine mode vs the OS65VC-6? Are they basically equivalent or is the OS65VC-6 a better finish sander?

Other than the quality of the finish you might want to consider how comfortable it is to use if you're going to be spending a lot of time finish sanding. Even if they produced equal quality but you could comfortably use the ROS65VC-6 longer it might be worth having both.

I have the OS65VC-6. It is VERY obvious when comparing to my old PC ROS that the Bosch anti-vibration system makes a huge difference. Seems plenty powerful and dust collection with my Fein vac is excellent.

I don't have the
    1250DEVS but I think that, if I were doing really aggressive sanding I would want something with that form factor.

Good luck with your decision.

Ok. I just needed a little enabling. Both sanders are now on their way. Thanks all for the advice!

Sounds good, Roger. Please report back after you've used both sanders for a bit, I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

I have the 1250 DEVS and I'm very happy with it. That being said - I don't think you want this as the only sander you have. Heavy for those edges and for smaller stuff. Definitely the cat's meow for the first paper especially on panels and especially with abernet but I prefer a smaller sander to back it up for the finish sand and edges.