Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck spur recommendations

Chuck spur recommendations

I am looking for a good chuck spur to use for roughing bowl blanks (12-18") between centers.

I have a Supernova2 Chuck. Normally I use a faceplate, but there are times I'd prefer to use a spur center.

I own a Oneway 2027A (1") spur, but it's a little narrow and slips when I get to the rim on anything wide.

Is a Oneway Big Bite chuck spur appropriate? will it fit? Other recs?

2. I have a Oneway Big Bite, it works well with the supernova2.

Prashun, I highly recommend using Jerry Marcantel's chuck plate. He wrote an article on how to make your own. Check it out: Chuck Plate
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Haha, Steve. I have his chuck plate. I do love it and it works well. However, it is sized for my smaller 50mm jaws, and I'm looking for something that I can use in my 100mm jaws.

Also, the set screws require fidgeting to get them to seat flat.

I should experiment more with this, though.

Bruce, how large / thick a blank do you feel comfortable using the Big Bite on?

I've used the "big bite" on asymmetrical natural edge bowls that I had to trim to fit on the PM 3520b. It does a great job of biting on blanks that'd be impossible to mount without it.

The thing is pretty solid. I'd trust it with anything that fits on the lathe.
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 02-06-2018 at 9:54 AM.

I mostly use pin jaws on oneway chucks, I have oneway the pin jaws for both the talon and the stronghold chucks. I drill a hole in the blank that is a little bit larger than the minimum with jaws closed all the way. It holds period, no slipping unless I forget to tighten up the jaws. If doing NE bowls make sure you get through the bark and into solid wood. Most times I pretty much finish the outside before reversing the bowl. I have several spur drives and they don't seem to hold as tight as I prefer. I prefer the stronghold jaws on larger blanks as the talon jaws only have one screw per jaw. It is secure enough to clean up the tenon without the tailstock in place.
    Fred

I prefer a spur type drive for natural edge bowls because of how easy it is to reposition the piece. You can tilt it, change the center, etc., right there on the lathe. Irregularly shaped pieces are hard to do any other way -- for me at least.

8. It will take a big chunk of wood, I can't give an estimate on wood size, mass would probably be a better metric. I have probably gone 50 pounds or so without feeling I was near the margin.
    I just went out and measured the unit since you state you want to use it in the 100mm jaws. It is (inches) 1/4 thick, 3-7/16 wide and 1-3/4 deep. The 3-7/16 probably is not wide enough to clamp in the 100mm jaws. I have always used the 50mm jaws with it.

I use the Oneway Big Bite in the SN2, works fantastically. I've used it for things as large around as my PM3520 can fit, although I don't usually go super deep/long with pieces like that.

Another option.

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tespdrce1.html

Well made - in Texas.

I also have and love the Big Bite. Because of how wide it's footprint is it works great and I've used it on some pretty big and heavy pieces.

I was going to recommend the Oneway Big bite as well, at 3 and ¾ inch it will drive pieces of 24 inches, but I don’t know if it fits your Nova chuck, I only have Oneway chucks.

https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=pr...product_id=453

Big Bite chuck.png
    Have fun and take care

I use a 2" 2 prong from Best Wood Tools. I've used it to turn 500 lb plus logs works great.

I’ve used a Big Bite for at least 6 years - pretty much exclusively when roughing bowls. It works great, allows repositioning to center the grain when necessary, and has handled very wet and heavy blanks as large as 24” without a problem. They’re used with Oneway chucks and work with nearly all the jaw sizes I typically use. I’d assume that as long as the tang fits into the chuck center it would work on most chucks.

I did just buy an Elio drive but haven’t put it to much use yet. Looks like a good solution, too. Three sharppoints each independantly adjustable. Thought it might be useful on multi-axis pieces.

Thanks, guys. I ordered a Big Bite.

FWIW, the 1" Oneway chuck spur (2027A) fits in my SN2 chuck, but it does not spin absolutely true. It's a tight fit...