Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck spur recommendations

I drill a 2 5/8 recess in the top of the blanks and expand my Vicmark chuck into that. I have refined it to drilling deeper than the jaws so the blank can sit on the face of the jaws if my chain saw work isn't as good as I want...

robo hippy

Reed,
    The Forstner won't drill a dovetailed recess. Is that an issue? I have shyed away from this method for this reason.

I use a drilled 2 1/16" recess (for the 50mm jaws), as well, but I do keep it less than the jaw depth. However, I am not a brute like Reed is, so I can't get my chuck as tight!!! But, nonetheless, it works fine.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have been doing it for 15 years or so, no problems. You are using it to drive/spin the wood. I do crank down on it more than I do a finished recess. On bowls in the 12 or so inch range, I will attach the tailstock for roughing, but remove it to do finish cuts. I use a tooled recess on the bottoms of the bowls that I turn, so the same chuck stays on the lathe the whole time and no drive center to do the off/on thing with...

robo hippy

I just watched a live demo last night on natural edged rectangular bowl from a log. The demonstrator used the Elio Drive to hold the work. It worked great as the center pin allowed one to rotate and adjust the piece to get the log centered properly and the once in place the other "dog screws" were tightened into the work piece. Very impressive and simple tool, it is now on my "need to get one" list. It fit in a #2 morse taper and was about 2 1/2" diameter, other sizes are available.

Thought I saw face plate full of the dog screws as you described (at about 1:50 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPj...r#action=share
    No affiliation.
    Last edited by Glenn C Roberts; 02-10-2018 at 7:18 AM.