Thread: A Couple of Bowls

A Couple of Bowls

Thought I'd post these two bowls that I'm pleased with the way they turned out... the first is from a board of Spalted Maple that I had in the workshop. Wasn't doing anything with it so decided to make a small bowl from a board...it's about 4" high and 6" across..... The second is a piece from a Black Walnut tree from a 200 year old farm just outside of town... don't know if the tree was that old but it sure was big enough to be. When they had to cut it down they gave me a few pieces and they have been sitting in the garage for about 10 years so last summer I decided to turn one and am happy that there was no splits or checks even with the pith you can see at the top. It's about 7" high and 12" across....thanks for looking....

P1070224.jpg P1070228.jpg P1070234.jpg

Those are great. Center pic makes me think of animal cave drawings and falling leaves.

Nice job! I've never tried a bowl from a board - you certainly did that justice. The spalting is striking.

I like the walnut bowl. Was it hard to turn? I almost always turn dry wood and a lot of what I'm turning now has been drying for 10 or more years.
    Too bad you couldn't count the rings on the tree. I've got some trees on my place here that I think are close to 200 years old. A limb died on one and I counted 98 rings it it!

Blog Entries
    Very nice pieces, Barry.
    I especially like the form of the walnut.

I like them both. Did you make the first one using a Ring Master?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Nice work on the rims of both bowls Barry.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks everyone for the comments......

John...the Walnut bowl wasn't hard to turn.. I use a combination of a bowl gouge and the Oneway Termite tool on the inside and they work well...

Sid...I don't have a Ring Master... I make quite a few bowls from boards.... most tutorials on the web say to cut the board in half with a band saw and then cut out the half circles on an angle and glue them back together. I don't like trying to glue rings together especially when they are cut on an angle. I drill a small hole at the edge of each ring at a 35 degree angle and thread my scroll saw blade through it and, with the table set to 35 degrees as well, I cut out the complete rings. Then it is just a matter of stacking and gluing them together and then start turning... here's some pictures of the process in case my explanation is not that clear...CAM00553.jpg CAM00554.jpg CAM00564.jpg CAM00565.jpgCAM00566.jpg CAM00567.jpg

That’s some gorgeous wood you used Barry good shape for a BFAB, well done

And yes Black Walnut is also a nice wood and bowl.
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo...I appreciate you looking..