Thread: Delta 34-670 blade adjustment?

Delta 34-670 blade adjustment?

Okay so I just bought a cheap delta table saw off craigslist. It seemed fine when I was buying it but once I brought it home I noticed the blade and miter gage slots aren’t parallel. When I measure from the front and back of the table saw it’s off by a whopping 3/32”!! I’ve checked the owners manual on how to adjust this and all I could find was a small excerpt that claims it’s set parallel at the factory. On top of that, when I crank the blade to come back to be perfectly at 90 degrees, it’s short by about 1 degree. I followed the owners manual to adjust this but it seems like the threaded rod that the motor mounts too runs out of thread just shy of 90 degrees. It bottoms out and it looks like the previous owner must’ve tried cranking pretty hard because the side of the table saw housing by the crank looks slightly bent in. I’m not an expert but I would really like to make this saw work considering I’m a beginning woodworker and the price was too good to pass up (now I see why). Any and all suggestions would be very much so appreciated!!

Thanks! -Troy
    Last edited by Troy Behrens; 02-05-2018 at 9:47 PM. Reason: Tags

I not familiar with this saw, but I think that with most contractor's saw the trunnion are bolted to the bottom of the table. So if you loosen the bolts that attach the trunnions to the table, you should be able to move the trunnions until the blade aligns with the miter slot, and then tighten the bolts. It may take a couple of tries to get it just where you want it. There is probably a screw that can be adjusted to provide a hard stop an 90 degrees. You mention that the tilt shaft is running out of threads before the blade is at 90 degrees. Is there maybe a shaft collar holding the shaft in position that has slipped? That's my best guess without being able to see it.

Looking at E-Replacement (google it), it looks like you can loosen the trunnions and shift the works around to square. I would look for an accumulation of crud at the ends of the tilt gear or shafts. A fairly common cause. That saw wasn't the worst one Delta ever made, so there should be some adjustments under the hood. Try to get a manual for it from someone who has one . When you get that straightened out buy the best saw blade you can afford for it. Good blades make up for a lot of little things lower end saws lack.
    Last edited by Bob Leistner; 02-05-2018 at 11:43 PM.

IIRC, the Delta 34-670 is a compact saw with a universal motor and a small cog belt, and has a smaller table and different trunnion setup than a standard full size contractor saw. It's similar the 36-600 and TS300. I don't think those trunnions are intended to be user adjusted, but if you're willing to turn the saw upside down, clean it up, and take a look, you might have some success. You may ultimately need to pull the entire trunnion and motor mount assembly out of the saw and elongate or expand the holes in the trunnion mounting brackets to allow for movement, then reinstall and adjust the assembly to get the blade parallel to the miter slots.

Underneath it should look something like this:

If all else fails, you might be able to make a gross adjustment to the fence to get it aligned parallel with the blade, but that's much less desirable than getting the blade aligned with the miter slots first.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-06-2018 at 7:04 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    First off, don't kill yourself trying to bring that type of saw into furniture-making tolerances; you may or may not get there. The 3/32" is probably well within the 'brand new' specs for that saw. To bring it in to alignment, Scott has your answer. If the trunnion holes do not allow enough adjustment you can enlarge them slightly;increased adjustment capability.even 1/32" increase in hole size will give you quite a bit of a
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you all for the advice! I’ll be trying Scott’s suggested trunnion hole adjustments soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Behrens View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! I’ll be trying Scott’s suggested trunnion hole adjustments soon!
    It just occurred to me that you might be able to loosen one side at a time, add some spacers and ream the holes out without removing the hole assembly, remove the spacers and repeat on the opposite side, but on the other hand pulling the whole thing out gives you chance to clean and inspect it thoroughly.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Just as an update! The rounded out trunnion holes worked great and after quite a bit of back and forth adjusting, the blade is perfectly parallel to the miter slots. Thanks so much for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Behrens View Post
    Just as an update! The rounded out trunnion holes worked great and after quite a bit of back and forth adjusting, the blade is perfectly parallel to the miter slots. Thanks so much for the help!
    Great! ....good to know it's doable.