Thread: What? Is Everyone a Pat's Fan?

Blog Entries

What? Is Everyone a Pat's Fan?

We are not football fans and didn't watch the game. After reading Nick Foles was the first QB to throw and receive TD passes in a Super Bowl game, it got my attention enough to seek out the video.

From other accounts it seemed like it was a pretty good game.

Supplyhouse.com is offering a discount for today only of 1% for each TD which makes it 9%. Code TD.

We don't need anything from them today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It was an entertaining game, but not a good game.

I only watched the second half, but I thought it was a good game. Very close.

I'm not a fan of either team (don't follow sports) but I was glad the Eagles got their first championship. I'm sure it means more to them than a sixth win does to the Patriots.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. Professor Dr. SWMBO watched almost the whole thing and despite not being particularly into football, enjoyed it. The Princess (younger daughter) watched a whole football game for the first time in her life...and her loud and raucous commentary was, um...entertaining. Older daughter...well...she went to bed.

That said, it was certainly a game that was hard to step away from and not miss something with both teams marching up and down the field in sometimes thrilling ways. In the end, it came down to some little things. And nobody can argue that the winning team doesn't have "big brass ones" hanging under those green jerseys...they "went for it" and it paid off.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It was a pretty good game, better than some. Some of the commercials were pretty good as well. There was almost a second QB receiving a pass, but the throw was a couple of inches too high for Brady to reach so it fell incomplete.

I sure hope the NFL figures out what a catch is and isn't before next season. I'm tired of the announcers trying to second guess the officials even after a play has been reviewed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with your last statement, Lee...and I can't even believe that Collingsworth was questioning that last one considering he was a receiver. It was abundantly clear from multiple angles that Ertz had caught the ball at the 5 yard line, had control and transitioned to being a runner before he leaped for the goal line from about the three yard line.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with your last statement, Lee...and I can't even believe that Collingsworth was questioning that last one considering he was a receiver. It was abundantly clear from multiple angles that Ertz had caught the ball at the 5 yard line, had control and transitioned to being a runner before he leaped for the goal line from about the three yard line.
    What he said.

Blog Entries
    I found it very interesting to watch. Glad the eagles got their win, I thought it interesting that they focused in on
    thst one fellow 99yrs old whose been watching them since 1933, long time waiting for him.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I watched the game, it was th only game I've watched this season. Defensively both teams were awful. It was entertaining watching both teams go up and down the field at will, but I would have preferred a better defensive game. The questions about what makes up a catch need to be resolved by the league prior to next season. It's a huge distraction.
    I don't really watch football to much any longer. The games just take to long, and i'm not willing to give up that much time.

Congrats to the Philly' fans here on the board.
    Now what are you going to do about your quarterback question? It's a good place to be in, or maybe not.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This is unfair to Collinsworth. Of course he questioned it...it was nearly identical to the play in the Steelers-pats game a few weeks ago where it was ruled that Jesse James did not complete the catch to the ground.
    I agree with your assessment of the play...clearly a catch, but in trying to apply the rule as written officials are interpreting in different ways, so the ruling for this play was certainly up in the air.

Recently, the NFL brought in former players to review a bunch of plays and attempt to find a consensus on what a catch was. They couldn't.

My old boss asked me last Friday who I wanted in the 'Game'. I had to ask him who was playing. That about sums up my interest in the Superbowl, or most other sports. Have to admit I didn't see a single minute of the game or commercials.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I had to watch it being born in Philadelphia and grew up in Montgomery County. I never was a sports personbut the game Sunday was great to watch.
    The defense was boring because they were so evenly matched,IMHO, until Philly decided they had to stop Brady late in the 4th and caused him to fumble the ball and lose possession..
    Nick Foley is one heck of a Quarterback.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    This is unfair to Collinsworth. Of course he questioned it...it was nearly identical to the play in the Steelers-pats game a few weeks ago where it was ruled that Jesse James did not complete the catch to the ground.
    I agree with your assessment of the play...clearly a catch, but in trying to apply the rule as written officials are interpreting in different ways, so the ruling for this play was certainly up in the air.
    In the replays you could clearly see that the receiver took at least four complete steps and had control of the ball until he hit the ground past the plane of the goal line. The Steeler player was in the process of making a catch, had taken no steps when he hit the ground and lost the ball. Yes I am a Steeler's fan.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In the replays you could clearly see that the receiver took at least four complete steps and had control of the ball until he hit the ground past the plane of the goal line. The Steeler player was in the process of making a catch, had taken no steps when he hit the ground and lost the ball. Yes I am a Steeler's fan.
    Two steps for sure, maybe three.
    James secured possession and had a knee down and then an elbow prior to the ball hitting the ground.
    I actually think both were catches.

I'm not arguing it wasn't a catch. I'm saying that Collinsworth shouldn't be criticized for wondering how they would rule it. They have demonstrated again and again that there is no consensus on what a catch is.

That said, it was certainly a game that was hard to step away from and not miss something with both teams marching up and down the field in sometimes thrilling ways. In the end, it came down to some little things. And nobody can argue that the winning team doesn't have "big brass ones" hanging under those green jerseys...they "went for it" and it paid off.
    It is often the little things that matter in games like that and Belichick is an absolute master there. Pederson outdueled the master that night. Calling a double reverse on 4th and goal in the Super Bowl? Big ones indeed. But that mindset is what got them there.

As far as the scoring, the NFL has wanted more offense, casual viewers don't like 10-6 defensive battles. They certainly got it - over 1000 yards total offense.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-06-2018 at 4:51 PM.