Thread: Source: 6x48 Edge Sander

Source: 6x48 Edge Sander

Does anyone know someone who sells a 6x48 edge sander? It looks like Moa-shan makes one. I gather that Grizzly may have sold one at some point in time. I would prefer and edge sander versus combo sander as I already have a 12" disk sander and also a spindle sander. My shop will not support a bigger sander. In the end I may have to just build one, but would prefer one already built. This needs to be in the US also. Thanks.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

The local "junk shop" has had them for $200. They had the "Cal-Hawk" tag on them and came from China. I almost bought one, but got a used 6x89 for $150 instead. The quality was not too bad for the money. Sears also had them as did several others.

CPeter

In the past I've given somewhat serious thought to taking my 6x48 belt/disc sander and building a stand that would put it into position to use as an edge sander. Doesn't seem like that would be too difficult. I'm using the disc sander more and more though so I'd have to replace that.

Guy, Thanks. But that is the worng type I am looking for. I am looking for something along these lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Boy those look scary. Why don't you look around for an old Delta/Rockwell or a Powermatic.

I have a Rockwell 6x48 with a 12" disk. I paid too much for mine, but it was in perfect condition with a 2hp motor and low voltage controls. I was able to find a dust chute for it also off ebay.

Probably twice as heavy as any of those listed.

Rikon makes one http://www.rikontools.com/images/Sel...nder50-120.pdf

I don't know the price, but very pleased with my 18" Bandsaw.

mailto:techsupport@rikontools.com Rod Burrow can help you if interested.

No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.

Guys thanks again, but what I am really looking for is the edge sander type, not combo. So the belt lays on its side not on its back and straight up. Anyways, I understand Grizzly made one a while back G1072 I believe, but it is no longer available. I also understand ShopFox makes a 4x36. I will hold out hope that I can find a used 6x48. If not then I will most likely buy a combo unit and covert it to an edge and remove the disk sander portion. Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

question?

scott is there a particular reason you want an edge sander with such a limited platten length? just curious `cause most folks using an edge sander go for the longest platten they can afford. tod

Blog Entries
    Hey Scott,
    Remember to shop we went to at Terry's BBQ? He had made an edge sander out of a combo sander. The thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24028

has a picture of it. You might try to do something like it
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-11-2005 at 12:30 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yes, space. I have a 325sqft shop, currently filled to the hilt with tools. In that space I have a cyclone, cabinet saw, jointer, lathe, 17" bandsaw, drill press, planer, drum sander, router cabinet, spindle sander, disk sander, morticer, lumber storage, misc tools, 2 compressors and work bench. I've gone vertical where I can and floor space is used up pretty much. I hope to squeeze in a 8" jointer in place of the 6" I have now. I've saved an area for assembly. So space, space, space is my real issue.

I would love to have a 6x80 or larger model. But I can't pack much more in and definitely not a bigger edge sander. Even what I am looking for will be a challenge, but I think I can get some things to work for it. I can't expand. In the end I may just be out of luck, but heck at least I am giving it a shot. I would really like to have the capabilities of the edge sander and feel though not ideal, the 6x48 would meet the majority of my needs.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Check out Wilke Machinery

They have Bridgewood edge sanders from $600 up.