Thread: What the heck is that??

What the heck is that??

Let's see if this thread can get some traction. I'm always amazed, when I see some old tools, that anybody actually thought that up, and made it. Some things I have no idea what they are for, or how they might be used. I've seen many old specialty tools that get my standard best guess: paper weight. You all probably have some interesting things in your collections that would be interesting to share. And I'll start with this:
    20170901_184307.jpg
    Found this in the new house we bought. The house was built in 1892 and we are the second owners. I had to search the patent number to figure out what it was.

(btw - I posted here because I'm guessing most of the interesting tools will be hand tools.)
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

is that an igniter for a stove?

Blog Entries
    The little wheel makes it look like a glass cutter. the movable piece looks like it would crudely sharpen knives. Though it could be for knocking down sharp edges on glass.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some type of pliers?

knife sharpener and glass cutter. http://www.google.com/patents/US1749442 whats curious is that the patent does not show the wheel, which I agree looks like a glass cutter. Patented in 1930 by a guy in Chicago. Click on the View PDF button on that web page - his application and explanation for what the tool does is a hoot.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.