Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunk of wood

Thanks, Leo, the wood doesn’t seem very dense and it does look like your photos of yellow birch so I’ll call it that, at least for now. I like Thomas’s idea of cutting it down a bit and putting on a faceplate. I can do that easily enough and I can cut out the crack. The rest looks solid but ring shake can fool you so I’ll wear my British surplus riot helmet while I turn. That can stop anything except bullets.

I took Thomas’s advise and put it on a 3” faceplate and turned the bottom. I cut the area with the crack out before I put the faceplate on. The wood is fairly solid at the base but gets very punky towards the rim. At best you could say the wood has a lot of character. It also has chatoyance as Leo pointed out. I see this a lot in high grade black cherry. I assume it’s the same effect seen in tiger maple as well. It remains to be seen how things will go when I turn the rim and inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good. There is a little punk that will need to be addressed, but good start on a nice bowl.