Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

5 Feb 2018

Greetings Everyone,
    Came off of oncall duty at 8 AM this morning. Didn't get anything done this weekend due to oncall plus my family spending yet another weekend of someone having to go to the hospital ER. This time it was my son-in-law. He's home and recovery from a severe stomach bug. At first, we thought it was his gall bladder or his appendix but we're all happy that is was nothing serious. My hope is that this week, I'll get The LOML to help me and finish the last chair that is in need of new parts and repair and then I can get them out of my shop and my house. It just seems like the older I get the less time I have.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday I milled, glued up and cut to size and grooved (see picture) six 28.5" x 66.5" panels for single panel passage doors. I don't usually work on Sunday, but this is a rush order and I'm trying to take off next week and want it done before then. Sunday afternoon I prepped all the rails and stiles for the doors. The doors are 1.75" thick and I can't get that out of 8/4 flat and straight. I buy 5/4 x 10" x 8' and rip them down the middle, joint one face, plane the other side parallel and then face glue them into a 2"+ x 5"- piece. I plane them before gluing because I sandwich 5 pairs between two 4"x5" boxes made of MDF and clamp them all at once. I did 3 sets of 5 for 15 total 8' boards. When I glue them I turn the same face together in sort of a "reverse book match". That way any bow in the boards counteracts each other. They are also much stiffer than a single board of equal thickness and hopefully less prone to warp in the future. This afternoon I'll mill them to final size of 1.75" x 4.5" and if things go well will be cutting the panel grooves this evening. Everything is square edge so no fancy profiles to worry about. Here's a picture of a completed door from a previous order.FinishedDoor.jpg

Nice picture! How are you joining the pieces together?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Tonin View Post
    Nice picture! How are you joining the pieces together?
    The grooves for the panel are 1" deep by 3/4" wide the rails are just glued with stub tenons. Not the best design, but I didn't come up with it and they don't pay enough to do any more like longer tenons and mortises in the bottom of the grooves. I've built over 70 of them and some have been in service for close 8 months with no issues. The "Z" pattern is just applied to the surface with glue and pin nails. Again, not the best design with the cross grain and possibly limiting the panels movement, but that's what they want. The idea is "semi-rustic" I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    The grooves for the panel are 1" deep by 3/4" wide the rails are just glued with stub tenons. Not the best design, but I didn't come up with it and they don't pay enough to do any more like longer tenons and mortises in the bottom of the grooves. I've built over 70 of them and some have been in service for close 8 months with no issues. The "Z" pattern is just applied to the surface with glue and pin nails. Again, not the best design with the cross grain and possibly limiting the panels movement, but that's what they want. The idea is "semi-rustic" I guess.
    This seems to be increasingly popular. I work for a tooling company and we're getting more inquiries on cutters for more rustic or shaker-style doors.

Didn't do any woodworking per se, I did go out and mount a bunch of hanging bins so that I can better organize the shop, plus bought some lumber to make new clamp racks. Otherwise, it was just getting ready for my youngest daughter's birthday next Friday.

Saturday is my "day off" from the shop and it was the usual food shopping and other light things around the house. Sunday, was shop cleanup and organization day...cleanup from the completed (and now delivered as of Monday afternoon) double tack trunk commission as well as moving tools, etc., into a new Husky metal drawer unit I picked up from the Orange-Borg to get some space reclamation as well as having all of my various hand-tools, measuring/layout and other things is the same place in the shop. The CNC that's coming in 6-7 weeks required some "new thoughts" around shop organization, mobility and workflow for "that end" of my shop. I have a little more cleanup to do tomorrow and then I will be running a small job for a local photographer friend before starting on a larger cabinetry project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The CNC that's coming in 6-7 weeks required some "new thoughts" around shop organization, mobility and workflow for "that end" of my shop.
    Jim. tell us more please....................Thanks, Rod.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-06-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging.

Thread in the CNC forum area, Rod. Camaster Stinger II SR-44. I decided to give a go at monetizing my shop, hopefully in lieu of getting a part time job at a supermarket or something until I'm eligible for full SS at age 66.5. Celebrating that idea with a new tool seemed, well...appropriate. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thread in the CNC forum area, Rod. Camaster Stinger II SR-44. I decided to give a go at monetizing my shop, hopefully in lieu of getting a part time job at a supermarket or something until I'm eligible for full SS at age 66.5. Celebrating that idea with a new tool seemed, well...appropriate. LOL
    Thanks Jim, very interesting.

Part time jobs to keep the brain young are indeed something that we need. I'll retire next year and have started my retirement job early to ease into it............Regards, Rod.

The only woodworking related task was putting the last coat of finish on a set of yard dice I made for a gift exchange.

Saturday morning I had my usual coaching. Then my nephew had a birthday party for his daughter. And that night we had a Christmas party for the off-road club I am in. Hence the need to finish the yard dice. They were a hit, we ended up playing several games that evening.

Sunday I got to get the snowblower out for the second time this year and do the driveway. It was a bit chilly, as I had to come in and warm up my hands once. (I had a bit of frostbite years ago, but the extreme cold still gets a thumb and two fingers.) Then I had another Christmas party.