Thread: Retro Coasters and Cheese board from old salvaged mahogany louvered doors

Retro Coasters and Cheese board from old salvaged mahogany louvered doors

I debated for years on what to use these slats for, I had a full milk crate of them. After pre-milling the slats to clean the surfaces I decided on coasters and a cheese board. The trim for the cheese board came from the door styles, and the trim for the coasters came from used ½” tapered x 4 1/2” baseboard. A foot note, the 10 ft piece of very old mahogany base board was stamped $3.70. LOL.

The biggest mistake was getting complacent on the production run when face sawing all the slats, I got careless and damaged my Gripper. Other than this, the project was not difficult but took lots of time, patience and glue-ups. I now have instructions to mill the rest and build more.

Here is the story board in pictures, Chapter 1 of 2, milling and glue-up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retro Coasters and Cheese board from old salvaged mahogany louvered doors - Chapter 2

the rest of the story board pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the coasters. Really cool and kind of retro themselves.

Really outstanding and a great use of worthy recycled material!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you have a problem with the long grain glued to the ends of the big boards. Unless you did something sneaky to allow the board to shrink in the width. The little coasters are cool looking , but I wonder what will happen when they get wet.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Totally cool. Love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like your coasters too. What is a good finish for them - something that will seal them like poly or jst mineral oil?

Really great use of recycled materials. I need to something similar to my ever-growing stash of offcuts.

I finished the coasters with satin Varathane. I used mineral oil on the cheese board.