Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vise anti-rack

What a great idea. I have racking all the time on my Moxon vise. My solution is a wedge shaped wood but it has contact on only a small part of the vise at the top of the vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Derek, as always you come up with a neat solution to your situation. It's interesting to reflect that my favorite style of vise, the metal QR/Record style, has been defined by some as a poor choice due to racking. Seems like the leg vice has equal flaws/limits/compromise in the same situations.
    Graham,

I've DTDT with many of the popular vises. For me, of course YMMV, the best all around, easiest to use and for that matter to install on the bench is the metal English QR vise.

Having said that, I expect to start on a portable bench with a wood screw leg vise as soon as I finish MsBubba's kitchen cart. I expect I will build into it something like Derek's anti-rack device.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Well Derek that looks like it will be one GEORGEOUS chest of drawers. Lots of work in a project like that! You Australians get some great wood. Canadians have lots of Maple, Ash, Oak; some Cherry and Walnut. After that it gets expensive.
    Yes my bench will do that .
    It's not quite traditional........... I made the tail vise twice as long as normal so I could move the right leg further out than the right jaw opening (13" opening). This means the right leg is not in the way which I didn't like on the original design. It also meant I could add a dead man to the front of the right leg all the way to the foot without it being in the way, along with a row of hold downs.
    Also have an apron at the front to clamp shorter pieces.
    The whole premise for my bench was to make full size doors (needed some sort of premise!).
    Hi William

Actually, that chest of drawers' carcase was built from Makore, a West African timber. The drawer fronts were West Australian Jarrah.

This was completed 18 months ago ...

Do you have a picture of your bench?

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's a pretty fancy anti-racking device, Derek. I still have my pieces of scrap, with T's screwed across the top so they don't fall through, in the thicknesses that I work, on my clutter-table behind my bench. I like your idea, though, and may have to incorporate that at some point.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Graham,

I've DTDT with many of the popular vises. For me, of course YMMV, the best all around, easiest to use and for that matter to install on the bench is the metal English QR vise.

Having said that, I expect to start on a portable bench with a wood screw leg vise as soon as I finish MsBubba's kitchen cart. I expect I will build into it something like Derek's anti-rack device.

ken
    Ken, I'm always amazed how close our preferences are. I too feel the Record style QR is the best all round vise. Godspeed with the kitchen cart

The two woods blend very well. The Jarrah grain is most striking.
    I did post pictures of the top & under my bench top a while back in a thread, can't find it now. I will post some more in a proper build thread when I'm not so crazy busy with work. A lengthy project but very enjoyable.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Ken, I'm always amazed how close our preferences are. I too feel the Record style QR is the best all round vise. Godspeed with the kitchen cart
    Thanks Graham,

I'm doing glue up on the cart tomorrow, waylaid an extra set of hands for tomorrow or it would be tonight.

I think it has something to do with using "em

ken