Thread: Painting White Oak

Painting White Oak

I built two white oak chase lounges that sit outside year round in the Arizona sun and occasional rain/humidity. I tried a number of clear finishes recommended here but none lasted through one year. Finally I tried a rattle can applied Rustoleum black (that worked well on an interior hutch), but it turned out no better.

Are there paints that will last out doors? I remember my dad using paint on a back yard swing that lasted for several years. Of course that was in Illinois where the sun is less of a factor, but the rain and humidity, and then the winter freeze/thaw had to be an issue.

Does anyone have a multi-year success story to tell?

You'll probably have best results avoiding a "film" finish for outdoor work like this. If you want color, consider an opaque exterior stain. It looks like paint, but has properties that are more in tune with the weather. I started using it for outside stuff not long ago for the same reason...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can also try some good exterior house paint. I've got some things around the farm that have been in the weather for maybe 10 years now. I wouldn't prime and paint it unless it was completely dry, first stripping off any existing paint/finish.

But exterior paint may also depend on the environment. I remember my dad having to repaint our house on the river in PA every 5 years or so - the winds and high humidity were probably one reason. That was one reason he sold that house when he got older and bought a brick house!

I've also had good luck with applying BLO to bare (dry) wood on barn doors and such.

JKJ

Yes - unfortunately the hot sun and cold nights will destroy almost any clear finish you can put your hands on... The UV is the primary culprit...

You have a couple choices:
    1. Pick a clear Sailboat finish that already has UV inhibitors in it... You will likely need to redo every year or 2 to keep them looking nice - the finish blisters and peels over time... Also - this stuff is stupid expensive...

2. Use some sort of UV inhibited exterior house paint... Oil base or latex based as per your choice... You will likely need to redo every 3-5 years to keep it looking nice. High quality stuff will last a good long time outdoors...

3. Some sort of exterior oil finish that soaks in like Thompsons water seal and then just let it weather.... Sand and re-seal only when you have problems with splinters... This is what I did on some Cypress and cast iron benches I made for the garden.. Very happy with the results.. They have a nice uniform gray patina now - but they are still sturdy and sound...

Thank you all for the suggestions. Now the wonderful task to get the old gunk off....