Thread: Donation of Woodturning books or magazines for newbie please???

Question Donation of Woodturning books or magazines for newbie please???

Hey all,
    I am asking in a sincere and humble way... Does anyone have any woodturning magazines or books laying around that they could donate to a wanna-be turner??? I wouldn't ask for handouts but times have been tough... was laid off for 5 months (gun industry slowdown) and had to find a lower paying job. With a family and medical bills we have been tight. I am 50 yrs and I am looking for a lathe... Money has been going to saving for this.. I would hope someone has a couple books or magazines they are wanting to clear out for space of... I can maybe pay postage.. just let me know... I do really appreciate any help with this request.. Thanks!

Mike Heinen
    901 Lincoln St
    Evansville IL 62242

Your local library system might have some woodturning books, that's how I first dipped my toes into the hobby.

Some ideas

Mike,

I keep a few extra books I loan to students that come to my shop and other beginners (I look for and buy used books just for that reason). You live too far away to drop by for books (and for free lathe lessons!) but I'd be willing to loan a book and maybe some magazines (send me a private message).

You can also check the local places - your local library and far better, a local woodturning club. You can locate a local club on the AAW web site. Many clubs and members have libraries or old books/magazines to loan or give away. The old books are still good - I just bought two copies of a book first printed in 1957 (F. Pain's "The Practical Woodturner") and the techniques and lessons in it are still useful. You can sometimes find amazing deals on used turning books on Amazon.

Also if you are a wanna-be turner you probably can't do any better than going to some club meetings - you will find lots of turners, experts, beginners, and other wanna-bees, watch demonstrations, ask questions, get inspired, find deals on used lathes/tools.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heinen View Post
    Hey all,
    I am asking in a sincere and humble way... Does anyone have any woodturning magazines or books laying around that they could donate to a wanna-be turner??? I wouldn't ask for handouts but times have been tough... was laid off for 5 months (gun industry slowdown) and had to find a lower paying job. With a family and medical bills we have been tight. I am 50 yrs and I am looking for a lathe... Money has been going to saving for this.. I would hope someone has a couple books or magazines they are wanting to clear out for space of... I can maybe pay postage.. just let me know... I do really appreciate any help with this request.. Thanks!

Mike Heinen
    901 Lincoln St
    Evansville IL 62242
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-05-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: punctuation and spelln

My local turning club maintains a library for members.

However, there is an online library of free downloadable workshop books, including turning books. Perhaps old school, but still useful. You can find them at http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-books All they cost is a click and some hard drive space.

I haven't looked into it for turning yet, but some face book hobby groups have extensive on-line libraries of books for reference . I know the metal spinners has access to a sizeable online library.

Not sure where you are, but if you are any where near a club it is one of the best things. Our club has a great library of DVD's and printed material. We also have members that will mentor.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Where are you Mike? I do have some books but find Utube and other on line videos better than books for me!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Mike,
    I see you are in Evansville Il Their are 2 clubs in the St. Louis area the showme woodturners meet in Festus MO the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30pm and the st. Louis club meets on 4th sunday of every month. both will have booth set up at the woodworking show this weekend in Collinsville IL.

http://www.showmewoodturners.com/

http://turnedtreasuresllc.com/wstl2/

There is also this site I ran across a couple weeks ago. Numerous woodworking and turning related magazines going back to about 2015/16. The free stuff is throttled pretty badly but then once you start the download you don't have to stay on the site, you can use your computer for other things or like I do go play in the shop, just don't shut your browser down until the issue you want is finished downloading. Once you find one you are interested in do the extended search on that name and select read online for the search parameters. They will download right away and once downloaded you can save a copy to your computer.
    https://pdf-magazine-download.com/
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Hi Mike,

I was in your shoes a few years back. I personally bought several books and read several magazines. Honestly though, most of what you see in the books and magazines, especially for learning purposes, pale in comparison to what you can mine from the internet. Seeing people demonstrating and talking you through processes is so much better than still pics and narrative. The best is, as stated, having an experienced turner tutor or mentor you. You could spend a month on YouTube and not see everything.
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks all for the suggestions..

Join the American Association of.woodturners. as a member you have access to all of thr back issues of the magazine. It is a tremendous resource.