Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How large apiece do you usually turn

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crofton View Post
    I have been wanting a 766 Grizzly for some time. About pulled the plug a year ago but the tax man hit me hard. Situation has finally settled down and in the market again. How often do you turn over 16, 18, 20 inch. Wondering if I would be happy with a smaller lathe and capable of outboard turning. You thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    The answer to your question isn't what other people turn nor even what you think that you might turn. The real answer is to get the lathe that you have your heart set on. If you don't then you will have some lingering remorse over getting something less. If I may read between the lines, I believe that you are looking for confirmation that the Grizzly 0766 is a good lathe. From what I have read online, owners all seem to be well satisfied.
    Bill

I have both a Powermatic 3520B and a Nova Comet II midi lathe. I normally turn round bowls under 14" D since that is about limit for most shelves, but will turn long oval natural edge bowls up to the 20" swing of the Powermatic resulting in a platter type about 12-14" wide that will fit on a shelf. The larger swing and mass of the Powermatic make working with rough natural material easier and the extra clearance helps with the buffing when finishing to prevent banging into the ways. I do not move the headstock to gain extra clearance off the end but do plan to turn a 32" D piece one time using the drop extension.

I have an American Beauty long bed. In the year and a half I've had it, I think that the largest diameter I've turned is perhaps 10"; I doubt I'll ever approach the 25" swing. I spent today turning 1x1 blanks 9"-16" long; I doubt I'll ever challenge the maximum length, whatever it may be (60"+?). If I want to such things (baseball bats for my grandson, chair legs), I can. At present I don't. I love the lathe.

This question is like asking someone "how fast do you usually drive?" And then asking if a chevy camaro is fast enough or should I get the corvette?

truth is, we all drive around the same speed and almost never need to go 100mph but it sure is nice to know that you can if you have to.... any midi lathe is like a Toyota Camry. It's reasonable for almost any task. And then all of a sudden you have to take 5 other people to the movies.... or you have to bring home a sheet of plywood.... or you need to pass a cement truck on a two lane road....

a "big" lathe is like having a car/truck that can do it all. You might not need/want to turn any one thing ALL the time, but it's nice to be able to turn almost anything at any time

if you have the space and can afford it, get the big lathe. I've never heard anyone, ever, say "gosh, I wish this lathe had 6 inches less swing... that would sure be convenient...."

Thanks. I have a great supply of all different kinds of wood and even some burl and crotch. The replies about if you have it you can use it or not but it is available when you want it.

About 4 years ago I went from a Jet 1642 to an American Beauty. Main reason I wanted the AB was to turn larger item, and that I have done. But the real advantage I have found is the extra horse power that I now have. I do a lot of HF and several are in the 14" height range. This, it is a heavy chunk of wood. The weight of some of these logs would have been a challenge for the 1642. The 3 HP on the AB handles them without a problem. Yes, I can do larger diameter items but the real benefit is the extra power that comes with the larger lathes.