Thread: Hold On

Blog Entries

Hold On

Derek introduced his planing stop in another thread.

Here is something rigged up in my shop to hold a bunch of pieces being mortised:

Keeping an Eye on me.jpg

George is watching me use a small lock mortise chisel to clean out a mortise.

The jaw extensions were made to hold the work on the bench top instead of in the vise while being chopped.

The dowels were turned to fit the ~3/4" dog holes on my bench. These are a bit loose in a hole bored by a 3/4 auger bit. The ends that are in the jaws were turned down to be tight in a 16mm wrench. This made them tight in a hole drilled with a 5/8" auger bit. These are held together just by tight fit, no glue used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And mine..
    two down.jpg
    Three pieces of scrap wood
    IMG_2742 (640x480).jpg
    Finger clamp, so I can quickly change to the next mortise..
    IMG_2743 (640x480).jpg
    Been in use for a long time, getting a tad beat up.
    Also used as a helping hand..
    face frame.jpg
    When doing glue-ups....

Hi Jim

I had a similar idea to you ... which offers me the opportunity to ask you a question ...

What I did was simply clamp a board/fence in my leg vise. The side of the fence facing the bench has sandpaper/non-slip.

Against this board I clamped the stretcher to be morticed ....

As you see, I used a Veritas Wonder Dog in a convenient dog hole to push the stretcher against the leg vise/non-slip fence ...

This holds the stretcher very firmly when chopping - however, there is not enough side clamping to prevent pulling the stretcher up when releasing the chisel. Either one needs a better clamp into the fence, or there still needs to be a clamp holding it all down. Is this an issue with yours?

The advantage of simply popping in the fence board is that it does not take up much space under the bench, and it is variable in height. Thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Mine doesn't pull up when removing the chisel.

Perhaps if your dog hole was closer to the vise yours would be less inclined to lift.

There is a slight bias on the edges of the boards. They are closer at the top. This didn't work as planned and the boards lift about 1/16" where they meet the work. After using it a bit my thought is to either have them square or a slight bias to be closer at the bottom. It will be easy to change this if need be.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

I like.

I use something similar to Derek but with two short heavy F clamps and a hold fast to keep it from lifting. A little more monkey motion to use than yours but it works.

ken

Thanks Jim. I think I will replace the Wonder Dog with a long fence (similar to yours). This can be secured by dropping it into the dog holes. Then mine will function the same way as yours.

Thanks again for the post.

Edit: "A little more monkey motion" describes what I get, Ken.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Watch out Jim those cats bite and scratch! Now I have to decide which post to post on about hold ons/planing stops....I made a similar jig to Jim’s using Veritas Bench Anchors:

image.jpg

Yea, I figured out how to orient my iPad so pictures do not get flipped around.

image.jpg

These Veritas Planing stops adjust for width, come in different sizes and offer a low profile too.

Come to think of it, I may have more planing stops than I can use now.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-04-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Keeping an Eye on me.jpg

George is watching me use a small lock mortise chisel to clean out a mortise.
    Proper supervision is important. What sharpening media does George prefer?

Stan

OK, I worked out what was wrong with my set up. Jim, this thread of yours helped greatly ... mainly because what we have done may look different, but is actually identical in design. The following may aid someone with a Wonder Dog.

All I did was add a support to the rear of the fence. Recall that the other side has sandpaper as a non-slip. ...

Note that the face of the WD has leather glued on. This cushions and also acts as a non-slip.

Place it in the vise (leg vise in my case) ...

... but do not close it up tight. Leave about 3mm free ...

Now place the stretcher-to-be-morticed between the Wonder Dog and the fence, tighten the Wonder Dog, then clamp down tighter with the main vise/fence ...

Previously, there was not enough clamping pressure from the Wonder Dog, itself. The vise can now exert the extra that is needed.

The stretcher is not going anywhere!

Jim, that is where your set up was better - it had more clamping pressure than mine in the original set up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Proper supervision is important. What sharpening media does George prefer?

Stan
    He seems to like the pressure treated legs on my water stone bench or our front porch.

Jim, that is where your set up was better - it had more clamping pressure than mine in the original set up.
    Glad it helped with your set up.

jtk