Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space needed for dust collector closet

Space needed for dust collector closet

As I'm finalizing my shop plans I was wondering if anyone could give me some direction on the actual floor space needed for a dust collector. I'm very likely getting an Oneida V3000 or V5000.

I *think* I'm putting it in a corner next to a window and need to know the minimum spacing that the window needs to be from the wall. I'd like to put a 2x4 wall with some sound proofing at least on the side closest to the window.

Forgot to post the size:

Oneida specs it as 32.5" wide. My question would be how tightly others have put the wall to the collector. I don't want to have heat issues with the motor.

Mine is about 4' deep and 7' wide; the width not only accommodates the cyclone, but also my compressor, the cyclone filter and access to my electrical panel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I say that you don't need a closet for the cyclone. You have the cyclone running because it is collecting dust and chips from some other machine -- a planer, jointer, saw, or whatever. Those machines, while they're eating wood, are just as loud as a cyclone. You'll be wearing ear protection because of them. Adding the sound from a cyclone doesn't change the result. Leave the cyclone out in the open, save some space, and don't worry about overheating the motor.

What Jamie said^

I have another take on the thought that you are only running your cyclone while your machines are running. There have been many times that I have started the cyclone and let it run for 30 minutes straight while I'm switching tasks between my jointer, planer, bandsaw, and table saw while I'm milling wood getting close to final dimensions. During this time there are some 1 to 5 minute gaps when I'm not running a tool, but I leave the cyclone going.

Basically I've heard it isn't a good thing to start and stop the dust collector multiple times in say a 30 minute work window. I think I read this at one point reading my Oneida manual for my V3000, but I could have heard it from some other source also.

So with my cyclone in a closet, while I'm changing tools and thinking about things for a couple of minutes, I can take off my earmuffs which I don't like to have on constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fritz View Post
    while I'm changing tools and thinking about things for a couple of minutes, I can take off my earmuffs which I don't like to have on constantly.
    I hate silence while I'm working with my hands, so instead of muffs (uncomfortable in warm weather and clunky), I use an iPod with good earbuds (Sennheiser makes terrific ones). I run the cord up my back to keep it out of my way while working, and Complyfoam tips will block out most of the harsh noise from tools (comparable to the muffs), allowing me to listen to tunes while I go about my tasks. Makes me more productive.

I'm with Mr. Fritz on this...and coincidently also with Mr. Petersen generally. I like having my cyclone and compressor in the sound absorbent closet because I do leave the DC running as I move between tools and don't generally wear special hearing protection unless I'm using the J/P or a router. And when that big compressor kicks on when it wants to, it's darn loud without the closet being closed off. I did recently buy a 3M headset with radio and Bluetooth because I'm adding a CNC to my shop and even with a spindle being "less loud" than a router, the noise level will be higher than I'm ever going to be comfortable with sans protection. And I "need my tunes" while working on other things while the machine will be running. I'm honestly also not comfortable with how well they work, ironically, because like Roy mentions, some of the important safety feedback from machines with whirling blades of death is the sound they make. I'm going to have to become even more anal about safety in that respect since I can confirm that I cannot hear the sliding table saw's blade with the 3M headset on at all with music engaged and just barely without the tunes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with the others that like their cyclone in an insulated closet. I like to leave mine running for various reasons at various times. And agree, not all machines require hearing protection ie: drill press, lathe, floor sweep.....

I built my closet specifically around my V3000. There is a little added room for storage on one side because I made the closet uniform and the V3000 with filter is not. I can take some pics and get some dimensions. But best to do what works for you. As Jim said, bigger might be better as a place to put compressor too. My compressor is in a cabinet in the other garage and piped over to the shop so I didn't have to worry about that.

4x8

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mine is about 4' deep and 7' wide; the width not only accommodates the cyclone, but also my compressor, the cyclone filter and access to my electrical panel.
    My closet houses both a 5hp cyclone and 5hp air compressor and is almost identical in size to Jim's - 4'x8' minus the wall thickness. I used 6" walls with 2x4 stud in a "staggered-stud" configuration for better insulation. With the cyclone mounted on a outer shop wall and after insulating the ceiling I can hear a whisper when outside the closet. Inside without ear protection would result in permanent hearing damage!

For easy access for emptying the bin, future maintenance, and further sound abatement I installed double insulated doors that open not into the wood shop area but into an adjacent room. Some people build a DC closet outside the shop.

I do recommend bringing electrical cutoffs, dryers, and controls outside the closet into the main shop:

air_comp_ctrls_IMG_20150124.jpg

JKJ

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like 4' is good round number to use. John - thanks for the suggestion of putting electric cutoff outside the closet, hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    allowing me to listen to tunes while I go about my tasks. Makes me more productive.
    Hi Roy, I recently purchased the 3m Worktunes earmuffs, I'm now enjoying music while working as well............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fritz View Post
    Basically I've heard it isn't a good thing to start and stop the dust collector multiple times in say a 30 minute work window. I think I read this at one point reading my Oneida manual for my V3000, but I could have heard it from some other source also.
    I understand that turning it on and off several times too quickly can cause overheating since the motor draws more current when starting and running a while can let it cool. I leave my 5hp cyclone running between use if I think it will be for less than 5-10 minutes. Some day I'll put thermocouples on the motor and test this.

When running the cyclone but not using it you can save on electrical costs by closing the blast gate. I put a current meter on the cyclone power line and found it used significant lower current when the blast gates were all closed. The largest current draw was with several gates open at once. With the gates all closed the internal air pressure around the impeller is a little lower (partial vacuum) so the motor doesn't have to work at hard.

JKJ

Put the dust collector and your air compressor in a shed addition on the outside of your shop with an insulated wall between the shop and them. Your ears and nose will thank me.

Charley

I would figure out how much room you need to access the DC to install it in the room and more importantly, how much room to service it. If you have to pull half of it apart in order to remove the filters or get at the motor electrical hookup you’ll be cursing yourself. You can always use the extra space to store stepladders etc.