Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dilemma - to rehab this old chisel or not?

I started with the Oregon Blademaker chassis, and built my own add on's. You can buy his basic chassis for about $500 (2 years ago...perhaps a bit more now, as I haven't looked). A 3 phase motor ( I have a shelf full of them, as my entire shop is 3 phase) can be had for $25 to $50 if you know where to look. The VFD was $150 (TECO FM50) I bought 7 or 8 years ago to run a lathe. I have a full (vintage) metalworking shop as well as woodworking shop (I'm not just unplugged, as I earn my living this way), and I make my accessories as I need them. Total invested, including new bearings for everything, aluminum wheels vs. plastic ones, etc.....is less than $1000. I buy my belts online from "Pop's."

I am currently using a 1750 rpm motor, as the VFD will run it up to 3000 if so needed (which I never have) for short runs, but I can slow it wayyyyyy down if needed for stuff like this. Really works great in saving time for me. I made a few jigs for holding molding irons for initial bevel grinding and it really works well for me. I also hunt and fish a lot, and I can really put an edge on a knife very quickly before honing it by hand.

I was hesitant to build it for a long time, but I am finding new uses for it all the time. Very worthwhile addition to my shop, and money well spent.

Edit: I just checked.....$495 for a yellow one, $549 for a black one. I have the black one. $729 with a motor, but IMHO, 3 phase with a VFD for speed control is a MUST.
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 02-08-2018 at 1:32 PM.
    Jeff

Jeff buddy...

Sounds like you have a perfect setup there....

How about I just send you this chisel for a good once over on the belt sander.

I bet a decent Router VFD would actually work pretty well on most 110v home belt sanders... The issue is typically that the motor doesn't cool right at low speeds... Not that the motor wouldn't work right.. Alas - I don't have a normal belt sander either.

Tis the life of a Semi-Neander I suppose...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 02-08-2018 at 3:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Jeff buddy...

Sounds like you have a perfect setup there....

How about I just send you this chisel for a good once over on the belt sander.

I bet a decent Router VFD would actually work pretty well on most 110v home belt sanders... The issue is typically that the motor doesn't cool right at low speeds... Not that the motor wouldn't work right.. Alas - I don't have a normal belt sander either.

Tis the life of a Semi-Neander I suppose...
    For the cooling problem when you run a 3 phase motor at low speed with a VFD, just get a fan and aim it at the motor. The air blowing over it is usually plenty enough to keep the motor cool.

Mike

[Also, those router speed control units will only work with a universal motor - they will not work with an induction motor. You need a VFD and a 3 phase induction motor if your unit is not a universal motor.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-08-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yes, and to add to what Mike already said ^^^^^, even with a 3 phase motor, they can and will overheat if run at low speed too long. The fan cools the motor. It has to spin fast to do that. Short runs of a few minutes or less do not hurt the motor, and I run it back up to full speed before shutting it off.
    Jeff

This is definately all you guys fault!

So I went ahead and cleaned it up. And our friend Sheldon made a nice chisel here.... The back - while lightly pitted - is quite flat...

It's one odd duck. There is a very visible line on the chisel now from the Evaporust... This chisel may well be a hard cast steel tip forge welded onto a softer iron/steel shank and socket... Or it could be that Mr. Sheldon only hardened the chisel that far.... It's obviously different when you polish it out... There's a visible transition in the steel on the back.

Anyway - it cleaned up well enough. The back isn't too bad... And it sharpens nicely to one heck of a hair popping sharp edge that at least passes my #1 test - pare end grain spruce without edge catastrophe....

Looks good, so far!

Blog Entries
    It looks better than what my expectations were for it. Good job, it looks like it can be a good user for years to come.

The difference in appearance could be due to some other issue such as how it was stored over time.

It is easy to do a simple hardness test between the two areas with a file. Heck if the lighter area is soft metal you would only need to test it there to verify your suspicion.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Don't hesitate to change the paper once you've used the entire surface; it seems to remove more material in the first minute or two of work with a fresh sheet than in the next ten.
    That is a very good tip.... The flattening took a little under an hour on my surface plate + 100grit PSA because of the pitting... And the back isn't pit free by any means... But this tip makes a huge difference... Change the paper as soon as it slows down cutting... A ride on a good belt sander would probably really clean it up... But I don't have one of those...

John

Good job. My experience has been that after evaporust, I can polish the metal up with a grinder and 1. wire wheel first 2. Scotchbrite wheel second.

Some of us care about such things, and it will polish up nicely if you so desire. Has nothing to do with performance, just aesthetics.
    Jeff