Thread: Your experience with error: 131 in Job Control

Your experience with error: 131 in Job Control

I've been troubleshooting for about a week to try and locate the origin of my problem which causes this error to sporadically appear. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the x-axis or its motor but rather a communication or software disruption. Trotec Support have been working with me to resolve this, but (no fault of theirs) I am not seeming to hone in on any particular culprit. It happens mostly on cut jobs, but occasionally during engraving. I've replaced my usb cable with a quality new sub 10ft. cord. I'm running windows10, i have thinned down any background processes, killed wifi, bluetooth, etc. my computer is on a seperate circuit from my machine (btw it is a Speedy 360 80w) my drivers and firmware have been inspected by trotec and i'm running out of ideas. The more complex a file is ( i.e. lots of vectors, high node count, un-ordered tiny details at high speed, etc.) the more likely it is to seize up with a 131 error. mechanical fault has been mostly ruled out by the support team for reasons i wont go into.
    My question to you is:
    Have you encountered a similar situation and do you have any insight?
    I'll be contacting support again monday morning but I'm trying to salvage a well paying job and good client for tonight if possible.
    I'm hoping for stupid and obvious but i'll settle for complicated or shot in the dark.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

my stupid and obvious suggestion ( ) would be to ****can the win10 and try a different computer with Win7. Seriously.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-04-2018 at 3:16 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    my stupid and obvious suggestion ( ) would be to ****can the win10 and try a different computer with Win7. Seriously.
    I would also suggest grabbing another computer and installing Job Control and seeing if it still is happening. I run my Job Control off a laptop without issues. Get

I was having an unrelated issue with the Z-axis alarm on startup happening, but I can't remember what the Job Control error code it was. In that situation I removed the left side cover and manually raised the bed from that side of the laser and since then the alarm hasn't gone off again.
    Trotec Speedy 400 Flexx (120W-CO2/20W-Fiber ) w/pass through, rim drive and cone rotary accessories

Ditto what Kev said, Windows was never intended to be a machine controller. Windows 10 is the worst of the worst, and the fun part..... you get it fixed and then MS forces another Update. Do what you want, but unless there is really some compelling reason to stay on Win 10, dump it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I know people who just bought new Win7 pro PC's to avoid Win 10.

I'm not saying that's your problem but....
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I see, funny thing is I keep win 7 on my music studio machine for that very reason. I didn't realize how bad win10 was for just about everything else. I bought a 17" tricked out laptop specifically for Corel, my laser and any other art/ graphics programs. My "top of the line" is more like "flatline" I guess.
    but I'm all ears if anyone has any other inkling of an idea what could be going on. Thanks for the tip Mike, Bill, Kev and Jeff.

FWIW- I have 2 machines
    - my GCC Explorer laser, which is in my garage shop and run via an old Dell w/Win XP Pro 32,
    - and my Gravograph IS400 Point n' Shoot, which is sitting behind me and run by THIS computer, a Dell Precision T5400 running win7 Pro 64...

and they both have the same exact problem, which is similar to yours, sorta: I will run a job, everything's fine. Start a second job, and the machine has lost connection to the machine. I have to unplug and re-plug the USB cable, then THAT job will load, and it will repeat when the next job comes up. The IS400 is worst, about half the time it will lose connection while trying to run a second part of the same job. The GCC usually loses connection only when beginning a new job, OR if the machine goes into standby mode, then it's hit or miss when running the same job...

totally different machines, totally different computers, totally different operating systems, same exact problem... and I have no clue other than I've had more USB issues over the years than Toyota's had recalls... I've never been a fan of USB, my serial and parallel connections rarely if ever give me problems..
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Here's an oddball question - are both of the lights inside the cabinet working?

P.S. I'm running Win10 on two different machines that drive my Trotec with no problem. I'm 100% convinced that the "problem" with Win10 is actually the programs that people have installed on their computer and not actually Windows. My main "Trotec" computer has Win10, Excel and both Corel X5 and X8 - that's it, never a problem with it.

Just another 'computer anomaly' story-- My BIL was recently given to him by his BIL a reasonably 'killer' computer, about 8 years old, liquid cooled, 4 core processor, 12 gigs ram, set up for gaming, blah blah.. And, he just bought an on-board video camera for his car because his 35 mile commute is always an adventure (camera already caught a dump truck dropping a rock that busted his windshield!)

The anomaly? The videos from this camera will play perfectly on ALL of my computers (XP, 7 and 8.1), and on his other computers (XP, and Mac/7)-- but on this 'killer' computer, the videos look like full color special effects from the twilight zone. He bought a new video card for it, and his BIL washed the drives and installed a factory-fresh Win7.

Video's still look like the earth is exploding... Yet- every other video played on this computer looks great. It's ONLY the videos from his new camera, and ONLY on this one particular computer...

So in his case, pretty sure it's not Windows nor any other software (since there's not any), just some stupid bug in the computer itself...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

my cabinet lights are fine. only thing i haven't kept up with is cleaning out the exhaust from the back of the machine because it's a pain to get to. it's been about a year. I wonder how many of you could say the same.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

Mine did the same thing, changed computers after several attempts by tech to correct the problem. I think code 131 is an X Axis problem. I pulled the left door off my Trotec 360 and reseated the plug on the X axis motor and never had that error show up again. Another comm issue is if you happen to have job opened twice while running a job. I will eventually shut down while running a job.

another solution Ive seen that works is to run W7 as a virtual in W10 ( which is ridiculous ) but seemingly has worked for a couple of other people I know.
    355 - 10400 : )

13. Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Courville View Post
    Mine did the same thing, changed computers after several attempts by tech to correct the problem. I think code 131 is an X Axis problem. I pulled the left door off my Trotec 360 and reseated the plug on the X axis motor and never had that error show up again. Another comm issue is if you happen to have job opened twice while running a job. I will eventually shut down while running a job.
    Speedy 360 80w running Win. 7 on a 6 year old machine

Having had the same 131 X axis error along with communication errors (tried to print cable), and Trotec telling me I needed to lubricate the rail behind the belt (which our set up guy never ever mentioned) and then Trotec telling me I probably need a new motor.. I resorted to the internet and found this thread. I just want to say thanks to all! This particular fix from Gerald seems to have solved our issues. Two small white wires going into a plug on the outside board and one appeared to be slightly pulled out, more than the other... took a small flat tool (read screwdriver) and pushed the wire ever so gently in further...as well as reseated every plug I could find...and voila - zero issues since.

Hope this helps more folks, and looking forward to reading more here.