Thread: G1066 dual drum sander

G1066 dual drum sander

I found this for sale locally they said they would take 400$ it is a older model, they said it hasn't been used since 1997. Anything in particular to look for? I was trying to buy a 16/32 drum sander, is this a step up?41948.jpeg41947.jpeg

41946.jpeg41945.jpeg41944.jpeg

How hard/exspensive is replacing that black felt stuff?

I would call Grizzly and see if they still support the machine (parts, conveyer belt etc.). Then make your decision.

I used to own this model sander and I can tell you that it is a beast of a machine that will sand without effort. However, the dust collection capability is not very efficient on the older models. It will leave a very thick coat of sanding dust on top of every board and I doubt that any size dust collector would make a difference.
    Performance was great but dust collection was wanting.

I looked up parts it looks like they are available. But I can't find the part for the felt any ideas where to.source that?

If there is no reference in the parts or manual about felt on the rear drum then it might have been added by an owner for some reason or other. Is there any on the newer models? I’d take it off and run without and see how it performed. Then decide.

Is it felt or for hook and loop paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    If there is no reference in the parts or manual about felt on the rear drum then it might have been added by an owner for some reason or other. Is there any on the newer models? I’d take it off and run without and see how it performed. Then decide.

In whatbi read it said the felt is to make the rear drum slightly bigger so it works correcrly.as second drum.

Cody, the one that I have has hook and loop for both drums. Drums are independently adjusted so you can set up to run two grits. I actually haven't run mine for long but when I did I only set it up with 80 grit on one drum and left the other up and out of the way.
    Keith is spot on about the dust collection. I think this machine would benefit from removing the second drum completely to make room for a better dust shroud!

I picked this up yesterday for $375. Included a very nice mobile base and 2 rolls off sand paper (100 grit and 150 grit) I need to do something with the velvet on the back roller. Can I put a hook and loop kit on that drum and use the normal sandpaper until its gone (over the one half of h&l)? I will convert to hook and loop at some point but I have 2 50ft rolls of normal sandpaper I would like to use first.

I am planning on ordering the H&L kit from Grizzly, does anyone know if they offer free shipping codes or where to get a 10% coupon?
    Last edited by cody michael; 02-12-2018 at 9:35 AM.