Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish inside drawers

Finish inside drawers

Would you finish the inside of bathroom cabinet drawers, if so what would you use?

I never do.

Always. Just use the same polish you are using for the rest of the job. You only need 2 coats so it is smooth enough not to snag on anything. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I would use shellac, no odder like oil base finishes.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I finish the inside of drawers with Shellac. It dries quickly and no odor. Normally,I finish the boards before making the drawer joints and assembly. After assembly, I touch up the finish.

Shellac may not be a good choice for a bathroom cabinet - poor water resistance. I definitely would finish them, though - you need something to make them easy to wipe clean.

I usually finish drawers with whatever I'm topcoating the rest of the project with. Lately, that's been Polycrylic - a water-based acrylic that dries VERY fast (probably faster than alcohol-based shellac).

Blog Entries
    Wipe on varnish. Same as the rest of the cabinet.
    NOW you tell me...

Absolutely. 3 good coats of waterborne finish to protect from moisture and staining.

I always use water based poly on all drawers.

Blog Entries
    I finish the inside and outside of all drawers. I also put finish on all sides of most cabinets, boxes, etc. It controls the seasonal moisture changes better than finishing only the show side.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The inside of drawers get wet?? I have never seen that happen. I agree water borne poly is a good choice also.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I typically spray with GF's waterborne conversion varnish or their Enduro Var, nothing too complicated, just spray inside and out.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I guess I'm imagining a bathroom vanity cabinet where someone may put a wet toothbrush or damp comb in a drawer, or splash a few drops of water from a sink - that would easily wreck a shellac finish.

Inside of drawers can be finished no problem...but never use an oil based product for this. Use a water borne finish, shellac, etc. Oil based will off-gas "forever" and that smell will get into things you might store in those drawers. Unfinished is also perfectly valid.

Dan, shellac is a lot more durable than you might think. Simple drops of water are not going to hurt it and it's actually a relatively good moisture barrier. Standing water and alcohol-based products or other solvents can certainly damage it, but they also affect a wide variety of other finishes, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    The inside of drawers get wet??
    Bathrooms are very humid environments.