Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MsBubba's Kitchen Cart

MsBubba's Kitchen Cart

The LOML has been asking for a roll around kitchen cart for a couple of years. Being the type to not rush into things (AKA a procrastinator) I finally started on it a couple or three weeks ago. I found some 12/4 White Oak for the legs and a couple of 5/4 Cherry boards for the stretchers/aprons in the wood pile that would work for the cart. I've been piddling with it between a trip to Houston to see the Grandpeanut, the Flu, and work. Today I had a near full day in the shop with only a couple of honey-do interruptions and finished all the major joinery except for a couple of grooves in the lower stretchers to hold the rabbeted shelf slats. I put it together to measure the slats and to check and note the joints that need a little more fiddling with. I'll make a glue-up Hard Maple work surface/top for it and a drawer, clean up the joints and show faces and this sucker will be finished. Then I can move on to making a new traveling work bench for this Fall's trip to the PNW.

The color is off on the photos and to correct I would have to dig deeper into my Photoshop-fu than I want to, BTDT for too many years, ain't interested anymore.

Front:

kitchenCartFront180203dscf2322.jpg

Side:

kitchenCartSide180203dscf2320.jpg

Back:

kitchenCartBack180203dscf2318.jpg

Closer to true color than the others.

As always click 'em to big 'em,

kem

Nice progress, Ken. Should be nice to use. By the way, you need more tools.

Ken, the joinery looks nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ken,

It is looking good. You are doing your normal nice work! Like Derek, I am looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Nice work Ken!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Good stuff Ken. Don't never stop.
    David

Nice.

Btw, how'd you get the nickname bubba?
    Reminds me of the story of Bubba Goldstein, who's friend call him Tanto.

Blog Entries
    Looking good, hope SWMBO doesn't see it, she will want one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice progress, Ken. Should be nice to use. By the way, you need more tools.
    Thanks Phil,

You noticed the 10lbs of stuff in the 5lb box . It's a sickness but it keeps me out of the bars. BTW the only way it works is living in the desert Southwest, anywhere else I'd never get any work done, all my time would be spent doing tool maintenance.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Ken, the joinery looks nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek, photos to follow.

ken

Thanks Stew, Brian and David,

I can't stop, If MsBubba sees me sitting she comes up with something that needs doing right now and it's a heck of a lot less fun than making furniture .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Nice.

Btw, how'd you get the nickname bubba?
    Reminds me of the story of Bubba Goldstein, who's friend call him Tanto.
    Matt,

Thanks,

Be careful what you ask of a OF . Many years ago the guy I worked for had a Summer home in Rockport ME. My F.O. and I would fly many trips from Houston to Rockport every Summer. we were the Ken and Ken show, and a lot of the flights were back side of the clock deadheads. Ken had even more of a Texas accent (East Texas vs. West Texas) than I have.

A little back story, each country has a way of assigning ident numbers to its aircraft, those numbers are used as "call signs" for commutation with Air Traffic Control. U.S. registered aircraft's number begins with a "N" aka a "N" number. Aircraft can also have special "call signs" kinda like vanity plates on a car. Air Force1 is an example, Air force1 isn't an airplane, it is the plane with the President on board. I flew for several years Evergreen1 anytime Dale Smith was on the flight. Damn that was a tasty rabbit, back to the story.

Being on the back side of the clock, we would often talk to and sometime joke with the New York Center controllers. Neither of us had much to do, New York Center controller watching our target craw across his radar screen and Ken and I watching the world under us craw by. Because of our accents we would joke about Bubba1 coming through. In later years after Ken had moved on to American Airlines when we would find ourselves in the same airspace and hear the other on the radio the question would be "that you Bubba1" or "Bubba1 come up on short count". Short count is the radio frequency123.4, that way we could talk without interfering with ATC.

Like I said be careful asking an OF a question ,

BTW, the LOML is about as far from a MsBubba as it gets being born and raised in Kilmarnock, Scotland.

ken aka bubba1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking good, hope SWMBO doesn't see it, she will want one.

jtk
    Thanks Jim,

If your is like mine it doesn't take much to cause a "special request". And then she questions why it isn’t finished the next day because "it's just sticking a couple or three boards together".

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 02-04-2018 at 6:58 PM.

Hi Bubba:

I'm planning a similar project for my own house and am wrestling with dimensions. I love the proportion in your cart. Would you be willing to share? Also, what about the "cart" part? I am looking for some sturdy, attractive an non-marring wheels. So far I'm, in the "pick any two out of three criteria" situation. Any help?

Thanks for posting this nice project.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sheehan View Post
    Hi Bubba:

I'm planning a similar project for my own house and am wrestling with dimensions. I love the proportion in your cart. Would you be willing to share? Also, what about the "cart" part? I am looking for some sturdy, attractive an non-marring wheels. So far I'm, in the "pick any two out of three criteria" situation. Any help?

Thanks for posting this nice project.

Dan
    Dan,

Thanks. The cart is 500mmX800mm and will end up with the top about 550mmX850mm and 900mm tall. That's about 22" deepX33" long and just under 36" tall. Wheels are tough to find. I've some butt ugly red ones the local Woodcraft carries that are good wheels and MsBubba has signed off on them but I'm still looking for something that is not as noticeable (butt ugly).

ken