Thread: Super Easy Clamp Rack (if you have plywood walls)

Super Easy Clamp Rack (if you have plywood walls)

I needed a clamp rack for my F style clamps but didn't want to spend much time on it because I am going to be moving things around in my shop shortly. I have plywood walls so I just took a piece of scape, cut some slots in it and pocket holed it to the wall. Easy peasy.

2018-02-03 18.13.40.jpg

Very similar to my clamp racks. I'd be concerned about the pocket screws handling the weight, however... my racks have the same slots, but are glued and screwed to a horizontal piece of scrap that's in turn securely screwed to the wall. You'll want to take that into consideration for your "more permanent" solution once you figure out the "where" part.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't go this route with a bunch of parallel clamps but for the f style, it's great. I actually couldn't believe how strong the pocket screws were though.

Now if I only had an empty wall....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    Now if I only had an empty wall....
    Exactly what I was thinking ! My clamps are hanging here and there as I found a small spot for them after buying each group of them.

I just have pipe clamps. My "rack" is a piece of 2x4 screwed to the wall. Works. Clamps are packed in touching each other. Is behind the back door to the shop when it is open.

I'm starved for wall space. Mine are on a French cleat system. My pipe clamps utilize something similar.

eUvNPN0.jpg

T

I created new "wall" space for mine...

I didn't bother with slots, I don't think they would help. The clamps just sit on 2x4s.

Dont bump them Carlos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Dont bump them Carlos.
    I was worried about that also and plan B was going to be a slotted rack. But they're not as easily knocked off as you might think. That's a walkway and casually hitting them doesn't affect them. Also I just realized that was a progress pic, I added another 2x4 down low to stabilize the bottom end also.

Also, you guys make me want more clamps.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

I made a vertical drawer to fit between my wood rack and roll around tool cabinet. It is made of 3/4" plywood, with two non swiveling castors, and runs in a track made of UniStrut mounted to the ceiling. It adds 3 feet of storage space, while only using about ten inches of wall space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    I made a vertical drawer to fit between my wood rack and roll around tool cabinet. It is made of 3/4" plywood, with two non swiveling castors, and runs in a track made of UniStrut mounted to the ceiling. It adds 3 feet of storage space, while only using about ten inches of wall space.
    Brilliant. I feel dumb for not thinking of it. I could run something like this in front of my wood storage, half the width of the storage, and slide as needed.

Don Bruce, What type of guide wheels are you using in the Uni Strut? I have been thinking of this in my shop as a solution. Dan

There are no guide wheels. The vertical sheet of plywood extends up into the unistrut. The entire weight is supported by the castors, the unistrut just keeps the whole unit vertical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don, That is a great idea. Definitively an easier idea then I was going to use. Thanks, Dan