Thread: "2005 Contributor" label

"2005 Contributor" label

I noticed that there is a "2005 Contributor" label appearing under the name of those folks who chipped in to help support SMC.

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Whether someone chooses to contribute to help support SMC or not is a personal decision. There are folks who choose not to donate and there may be a few who can't right now. I'm not sure it's appropriate to label us as having sent money in or now, especially since it singles out the non-contributing members.

This info could be in people's Public Profile, so if you really want to know if someone contributed, that info would be available. Having our contributor status stand out as clearly as a label under our names strikes me as creating classes within SMC and I don't think we want to go there. I see this as being markedly different than the Moderator label.

I did contribute, so it's not like this is a sour grapes thing on my part.

Rob

Is there some minimum contribution to get the label? I am assuming so.

BTW, I agree with your feelings on the label. Depending on the conditions, I may purposely donate $1 less than the minimum to avoid being "labeled". I make my donations quietly and when I see fit. I prefer to keep it that way.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

It doesn't bother me one way or another.

I don't care one way or the other either. I have been on forums where the contributers were labeled and I don't see as it caused and strife and probably encourages some to donate that wouldn't.

Don't care, just love SMC
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I'm with Rob.....I'd prefer it in the Personal Profile. I contributed but I can sympathize with those who can't afford to right now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    It doesn't bother me one way or another.
    Me neither.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'd hate to see the amount of a contribution labeled - as in Gold, Platinum, Silver... But I have no issues with 2005 Contributor. Actually, I feel it may increase donations. An alternative would be to recolor the current member label for those who have contributed.

I have a similar "notation" on another web site I frequent and it doesn't create a class system there.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

I'd vote for anonymity, and I guess the guys know that because I am sans label - and that is one of the problems, someone is always going to be missed.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Rob
    another label.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    another label.
    I think there was a post I responded to that's been deleted, along with my response. I think it was a suggestion to make SMC a "paid members only forum".

There is a thread on this same topic going on in the General Forum. It's already into 2 pages, so I'd suggest any further thoughts on this topic get rolled into that thread.

Here's the other thread.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I'm with Rob.....I'd prefer it in the Personal Profile. I contributed but I can sympathize with those who can't afford to right now.
    D-Ditto.