Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U-Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Of course not, he's an instructor at a woodworking school. But unless you sit in his classroom, you don't get to see his work except through his rare YouTube videos.
    Actually, he owns the school. It's just a few miles from my home. I visited him one time to see his place but never took any classes.

He used to teach at Cerritos College Woodworking before he started his school.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Brian Holcombe’s channel is the absolute best.
    +1. Me too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    These are all great channels, Just subscribed to Mirocks and Jack English Machines too.
    This guy is great to watch... very intense and he makes some excellent tools.
    Young Je https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0R...KleJsEj2h5cPow
    Its amazing what he makes by hand.
    Jon
    He's an amazing talent.

U-Tub is a great learning tool.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Timothy Wimots, not the least because the dog in his video looks just like ours..............Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Timothy Wimots, not the least because the dog in his video looks just like ours..............Rod
    Ach...I forgot to put him on my list. He's a nice guy and has come up with some very worthy ideas. He also clearly built his business pretty quickly to what is clearly a productive level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1. Me too!
    Thank you!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    The one thing that bugs the heck out of me with Jimmy Diresta videos is that he puts his name on absolutely everything. I mean, I can understand not wanting your videos to get stolen, I can understand not wanting to give free advertising, but it's absolutely everywhere! Great craftsman, but that just rubs me the wrong way.
    I don't care for that either but he does the YT thing full-time so the branding thing is somewhat important. He also had a lot of his own content re-upped on other "fan" channels as well....

Brian those are fantastic and I can see how it might take six hours of video for ten minutes of presentation. I had never actually seen a Japanese plane used or sharpened so that was very instructive. Thank you!

I like youtube, but it is tough to get recognized. I have wonderful commenters, and many have asked me to put together some higher quality videos since the majority of them are just quickly made with a cell phone.

I wanted to do something more like Ishitani-san, whose videos are wonderful.

My friend Tommy and I put together some videos, 4k (which were then uploaded in 1080), took about 6 hours to film for 10 minutes of video. We had a lot of fun making them, so no complaints there and they look cool on my web page. However...after so many requests the videos received so far 500~ views respectively.

You guys are welcome to take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkAlPmcqGA&t=11s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49u-iWrTLtU&t=11s
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I don't care for that either but he does the YT thing full-time so the branding thing is somewhat important. He also had a lot of his own content re-upped on other "fan" channels as well....
    Seeing his name and branding around doesn't really bother me, in fact I think it's kind of cool. Either way, it doesn't affect the video content he puts out. Have you ever checked out his tips videos? I had a hot glue gun sitting in a drawer for years gathering dust and after he opened my eyes to all sorts of applications with it, I now use it all the time. The bandsaw tips video is great also. He's a deep well of practical knowledge, a genuine working man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Brian those are fantastic and I can see how it might take six hours of video for ten minutes of presentation. I had never actually seen a Japanese plane used or sharpened so that was very instructive. Thank you!
    Thanks Bill!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Yet there are tons of YouTubers out there doing it full time that don't feel the need to do that. Like I said, he's a fine craftsman, I just find the practice horribly annoying and therefore I don't watch most of his videos. That doesn't make his projects any better or worse, I just have lots of other people I prefer to watch.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Brian Holcombe’s channel is the absolute best.
    Come on, Brian!!! I know you meant to say "Jeff Heath's channel is the best!"
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ach...I forgot to put him on my list. He's a nice guy and has come up with some very worthy ideas. He also clearly built his business pretty quickly to what is clearly a productive level.

Yes, I purchased his plans for the MFSC (Multi Function Shop Cart). Next year I plan on building it as a module that goes on top of my hydraulic shop cart. I don't need to duplicate that portion of the MFSC.

Timothy has a very organized work style that appeals to me.............Regards, Rod.