Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the DeWalt track saw? Corded or cordless version?

Anyone have the DeWalt track saw? Corded or cordless version?

About to pull the trigger on a track saw and I'd like to get the cordless version because I already have a few of the Flexvolt tools. How's the dust collection? Thoughts overall?

I am debating between the DeWalt and the Festool cordless.

I have the corded version. It cuts great. The dust (more like small chip) collection is pretty good. Not 100%, but way better than not using it at all.

Here in the winter months, I notice some static electricity buildup when I run the saw with a shop vac attached. It’s a minor annoyance, but shocked me (both literally and figuratively) the first time it happened.

DeWalt discontinued their first version of their cordless track saw. The new version uses a larger and higher voltage battery, so it should perform better. I'm also considering the DeWalt track saw, but will be buying the corded version. I had also been considering the Triton, but I'm not happy with their track lengths. I've pretty much decided that when I make the purchase, it will be the DeWalt. When buying tools I tend to buy whatever reputable brand has the features that I like most, but lately more and more of what I'm buying seems to be yellow.

Charley

I bought a referb one some years ago. The motor went out on it last year after a somewhat simple life. Had it fixed since I am invested in the accesories. If I had to buy new I don't know what i would get. My friend has the Makita but I don't like the time to spin up before you cut anything. I am the only person that I have heard of that had issues so take it as a data point.

I have the corded one. In a couple years of hobby use, it has been fine. My biggest problem was to remember that the part the track sits on is the keeper, not the other way around. You need to remember you are cutting a blade width off of the other piece.

I got a 5' and 8' track with it.

It was a nice surprise, when I needed to cut four different 5 sided shelves that were less than 8" square, I was able to do it with the track saw quite accurately. I simply put a piece of 1/4" ply on my bench, with the work piece and short track clamped on top.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I did some more research and it seems the DeWalt has good dust collection so I will probably go with it. The Festool is tempting but the proprietary nature of their products doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

You need to remember you are cutting a blade width off of the other piece
    It took me an unusually long time to come to the understanding that you always measure from the left and cut on the right.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Another tip: I can’t imagine trying to make a cut without using the two clamps that slide into a channel underneath the track. So, make sure to buy the saw, as much track as you think you need (you can connect two tracks with an accessory, too) and two of the clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I did some more research and it seems the DeWalt has good dust collection so I will probably go with it. The Festool is tempting but the proprietary nature of their products doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
    Dewalt seems to be the MOST proprietary of the tracksaws. Their tracks are unique and only made in two sizes. When Festool competitors first started coming out, Dewalt was the only one that offered no compatibility with the existing system. Lots of third party products made for the others but not Dewalt. Even Mafel make their saws work on their own track systems while allowing you to use the Festool system. Most of the low end track saws are some variety of Makita copy and keep some compatibility.

I have the corded Dewalt track saw and like it very much. Haven't used the dust collection aspect of it yet though. Use it mostly to break down plywood but also found it is great at ripping a fairly clean edge on long lengths of flat sawn rough cut lumber also.

I have a Makita corded model. It's great. I'm just a hobbiest, but I find it makes cutting down large items much easier. I also bought a router guide so I can do dado's with it which is great versus setting up the dado blade in the table saw. Dust collection is very good with the saw (not the cheap Ryobi router!). I've only read great things about the Makita cordless track saw.

Finally pulled the trigger on the Flex Volt track saw. LOVE IT. I bought the kit which came with battery, charger, and a 59" track and then also bought the 102" track. Been great so far for the little I've used it but I am going to making some cabinets soon so it will see a lot of working breaking down plywood.

I like my corded DeWalt. If the blade change mechanism doesn't want to work, my suggestion is to take the blade cover off and clean the dust off inside. I forced it and broke a little piece. It still works but I think cleaning is a better idea than even light tapping on things.

There is also a shorter track, forty something inches. I have all three. I also often cut without clamping. In my experience, you can't just lay the track on a board and expect it to stay there as you cut. Often the board isn't flat. But with a little hand pressure on the track, you can reliably make accurate cuts without clamping. Sometimes it would be quite hard to arrange things where you could clamp - may not even be possible. But with proper technique it is not necessary. I still clamp when I easily can but when I can't I don't worry about it. At first I did. And I made a few bad cuts until I got the technique down. There is also a track connector, I have one of those too. I haven't used it but I might someday if I work away from the shop and don't want to transport the long track. My two short ones together is at least as long.

A cordless would be nice but I am normally using a vacuum and the hose is more of a hassle than the cord.

My latest challenging use was to cut an outside stair skirt. I would not have wanted to cut the 45s for the risers with a circular saw. They are painted so I might have been able to make it look decent but it was much easier with the track saw. I cut one stringer with it and wish I had used it for that too.

Glad to hear you made your choice. I just pulled the trigger on the Makita cordless. Between the extra pair of batteries, the included 55" track, and the jaw dropping price ($400), I was able to overcome my loathing for getting into another battery platform. I would have gone with the DeWalt Flexvolt, but they've not offered any deals on it. I'd been holding out for a free battery promotion or the like.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

i have had the corded dewalt for awhile... to help with dust collection i tape over the hole to change the blade... captures almost 100% of the dust