Thread: Anyone have the DeWalt track saw? Corded or cordless version?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like my corded DeWalt. If the blade change mechanism doesn't want to work, my suggestion is to take the blade cover off and clean the dust off inside. I forced it and broke a little piece. It still works but I think cleaning is a better idea than even light tapping on things.

There is also a shorter track, forty something inches. I have all three. I also often cut without clamping. In my experience, you can't just lay the track on a board and expect it to stay there as you cut. Often the board isn't flat. But with a little hand pressure on the track, you can reliably make accurate cuts without clamping. Sometimes it would be quite hard to arrange things where you could clamp - may not even be possible. But with proper technique it is not necessary. I still clamp when I easily can but when I can't I don't worry about it. At first I did. And I made a few bad cuts until I got the technique down. There is also a track connector, I have one of those too. I haven't used it but I might someday if I work away from the shop and don't want to transport the long track. My two short ones together is at least as long.

A cordless would be nice but I am normally using a vacuum and the hose is more of a hassle than the cord.

My latest challenging use was to cut an outside stair skirt. I would not have wanted to cut the 45s for the risers with a circular saw. They are painted so I might have been able to make it look decent but it was much easier with the track saw. I cut one stringer with it and wish I had used it for that too.

I used it on Sunday without the clamps to trim the ends of some deck boards on a deck I am building. Worked great.