Thread: Exposed Tenon & Breadboard Top TV stand/Entertainment Center

Exposed Tenon & Breadboard Top TV stand/Entertainment Center

This TV stand/entertainment center is made with Mahogany and Mahogany plywood. Floating side panels with exposed mortise and tenon construction, pinned with dowels. Top is true breadboard end construction. Finished with 4 coats of Minwax tung oil finish. It’s 48” tall x 53” long x 23” deep. Back slides open/closed (last 2 photos) to make access to hook up electronics easier. Side cabinets have adjustable shelves and antique replica glass. I plan to install lights in the side cabinets tomorrow.
    Tenons are a little longer than I would have liked, but I got scared they’d be too short and stopped trimming them.
    I made it tall because I want the TV high, and so my subwoofer will fit under the cabinet. This is the largest and most complicated project I have yet to attempt. It was a pleasure to make. I love the natural mahogany finish.
    I’ll update with a new photo once it’s in place and everything is installed. I’ll wax it in a few weeks once the oil has fully cured.
    Anyway, I hope it “measures up” and inspires someone.IMG_1208.jpgIMG_1210.jpgIMG_1214.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1222.jpgIMG_1229.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1228.jpg

Nice work, Tom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Really sharp, tom. That's a piece you can be truly proud of. I, also, like the idea of setting a TV high in a room.

Lighting installed and in place.

IMG_1235.jpg

It looks great, tom. Judging from that floor lamp (which is exactly like one we have) it looks like the top of the TV must be not far from the ceiling. Our lamp reaches about 4" up from the bottom of the TV and the top of our TV is about 2-1/2" from the ceiling. You have a great set-up and a very attractive TV stand. Did you put felt on the bottoms of the legs of the TV ?

Very nice. I'm a huge fan of exposed joinery. You nailed it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That photo makes it look small. It's just shy of 7' to the top of the TV. Our room is 9 feet at the wall with cathedral ceilings. We view from 15 -18' away. So it makes for a nice proportional setup. Yes. We put felt on the bottom of everything. I'm surprised my wife hasn't put it on my shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It looks great, tom. Judging from that floor lamp (which is exactly like one we have) it looks like the top of the TV must be not far from the ceiling. Our lamp reaches about 4" up from the bottom of the TV and the top of our TV is about 2-1/2" from the ceiling. You have a great set-up and a very attractive TV stand. Did you put felt on the bottoms of the legs of the TV ?

Nice work. Looks awesome.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Really nice work.
    Charlie Jones